Hard starting

Ol' Smoky

Reaction score
Hey folks, as it turns out 70 degrees is just too cold for my new 88' 7.3 IDI and i was wondering if yall had any ideas why.

My brother says that engine has 6-volt glow plugs but im not sure and i would like more info on the subject, you can hear them cycle for 5-10 seconds before clicking on and off, they all ohmed out ok minus number 8.

Also wondering about timing and a good way to correctly time the pump

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
How long does it take to crank? Will it even start? Batteries?

Our systems can be finicky with even just one bad glow plug.

Thad

Ol' Smoky

Reaction score
It takes 15-25 seconds to start in 60 degree weather then has a terribly rough itle, batteries are good, cables are good, cranks at a good speed.

Ol' Smoky

Reaction score
They were good except for number eight, i just wouldnt think 1 glow plug would make that much difference at 60 degreess

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I can start my truck without glowplugs during the summer. It takes about 3-5 seconds of cranking but shell do it. With that in mind there is something else of a combo of things that are making it hard to start.

Assuming the problem is not fuel related and in order check:
batteries. Are they giving you all the juice you need?
Batt. Cables. In good shape and ends not corroded?
starter motor. strong or barely hanging on?
Timing???
IP??? From personal experience I can tell you a wore out IP can make starting next to impossible. Last winter if my truck was not plugged in the whole night, with good gps, new batts and starter, she would not start. Although at 180k miles on that IP she had a good life.
Compression. A compression ignition engine needs good compression to ignite.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
It seriously sounds like to me that you have air in your fuel lines. Once the truck is going good, when you shut it off it should start back up easy with no GP's unless you let it sit again for a while. When it's cold, unscrew the fuel filter and make sure it's brimming full of fuel. If not, you got air and I'd start with the check valve that the line coming from the closest injector to the top of the fuel filter assembly goes. Take it off and try to look through it. If you see light, it's bad and that's where your air is.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Any smoke after you get her going? A bad/wore out fuel system can give off blue smoke. You would have thought my truck had Vitron piston rings.

Ol' Smoky

Reaction score
Just found a small fuel leak, gunna check it out tomorrow and see what the issue is, im sure the batteries and cables are good, not sure about the timing though