Hard start! Bad Batteries?

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Kris K said:
So you think it's the batteries or cables? I;ll get the batteries checked tonight. That should tell alot about whats wrong.
i don't know if you need new cables, but what we're saying is make sure that they are good shape... straight, clean (new?) ends. no fraying. no corrosion in the strands. a new positive cable can be purchased (my choice - or some have made their own. you decide if your's is 'in order' or in need of replacement...
inspect the tail to the relay goog, too. part number for the positve cable can be found in the Parts Bin up top, BTW.

So you think i need to let it run longer to charge the batteries?
letting her idle in the driveway at 650 rpm for 20 minutes wouldn't even charge a cell phone battery, much less the 2 monsters these trucks need.
remove them & charge them separtely with a good battery charger. that way they're already out (for when you get the new ones) :D
if your'e reading the V with them connected, you're wasting your time.

IF this doesn't fix everything, then a starter may be in order, but that's last on this list:
if you put in the Mitsubishi gear reduction rebuilt $140 unit with having a properly operating charging system, you simply kill said new starter in a much shorter time frame than if you had new cables & batts.
whew.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK

I got the batteries tested, and there good. So I guess the next step is cables. I'm guessing the cables are a dealership only kind of deal. About how much are they? Dose anyone know?

Last edited:

stangclassic66

1986 Ford F-250 6.9
Reaction score
When I bought my truck a few months ago, the climate was still warm. But the first day it cooled down below 55 degrees was when my batteries CCA went south. The idiot who owned it before me put two different batteries in there. One was 550cca and the other was 350cca. The batteries also went bad. The battery shop I went to looked up the model truck I had and it required 1200cca amps to start. I bought two identical group 27 batteries at 900cca each. So I've got 1800cca and my truck starts on less than 2 revolutions, REAL FAST!!

I would ensure that the batteries you have total more than 1200cca together.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got it fixed. ;Sweet

I worked on it a little this morning, I finally desided it has to be the starter. So i took the starter off and took it to Autozone to have them test it, sure enough it failed. It was pulling to many amps. cookoo .

I got a Duralast starter with the gear reduction for $149 with a lifetime warrantie.

Got home put it in truck fired right up. :thumbsup:

Thank everyone for all your help. I'm sure i'll have more later.

sassyrel

Reaction score
and if your cables are looking bad--theres a set on ebay--new ones--and--someone ever had these starters apart??????--i do them--you dont just put in a set of brushes--one set is WELDED to the field windings--the other set is part of the end cap--not a 1 dol fix--nor a i minute fix!!!!-and--the armatures like to burn out real easy if the cables--batteris or such are bad--low crank amps destroys starters---esp diesels-----

ramon f350

Reaction score
glad you got it fixed I would still be replacing my cables if it was me that negitive sounds like it is going to be the culprit of the starter going bad soon

Ramon

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ramon f350 said:
glad you got it fixed I would still be replacing my cables if it was me that negitive sounds like it is going to be the culprit of the starter going bad soon

Ramon

I replaced the negitive. But everythings ok so far.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Cool, good job on fixin er up.

About the battery cables, i guess you have it fixed, but when i was working on my van a long time ago. I was having starting problems, it'd turn over kinda slow and i had the terminal clamps kinda tight but i could still move them if i tugged a bit, but i thought it was okay. After a while i decided to tighten them up a little more, and man, did it make a difference.

So yeah, make sure the terminal clamps are tight enough not to be able to be moved with your hand. And not too tight as to destory them.

ramon f350

Reaction score
there is definetly a fine line when it comes to tightening battery cables. I am fixing to change battery styles on my truck if it will fit. I am going to get the international batteries that have the wignut connector on the tops just like big trucks. most times you can pick up the batteries on sale at either international or frieghtliner for around 35.00 to 45.00...

Ramon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online