Hard start 7.3 IDI...have tried everything!!

kcnicolle

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been having one hell of a time with my '94 F350 with hard starts lately. It takes 20+ seconds to start on a good day. Once it starts and runs for a while, it'll shut down and start back up again just as it should. When it starts to crank over it takes 5 seconds for white smoke to come out, then 10-15 seconds later black smoke pours out and the engine revs to 2000 rpms, then back down to an idle. A guy at the local shop says it might be my fuel pressure...here's my list of things i've done to remedy the situation:

New injection pump less than a year ago
new injectors
glow plug relay on a push button switch, new plugs
new fuel/ water separator
new fuel lines
new sending units in tanks
new starter

this problem started to happen after i've replaced all the above, just as general maintenance. Although I did replace the glow plugs once and fuel filter when I noticed something was giving hard starts...I've also checked all of the fuel lines for cracks or punctures. No fuel leaks in the rubber lines to tanks or from the injection pump to injectors.

What am i missing here? It's driving me nuts! It can't be good for the starter or the engine! Has anyone encountered anything like this before? I'm completely stumped. Any advice is appreciated thanks so much in advance!!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Return lines/caps, fuel line olives, rubber hoop line at the pump, etc.
Just because you can't see fuel leaking, doesn't mean air isn't getting in.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

kcnicolle

Reaction score
very true, I'll probably wind up replacing all the fuel injector lines...any brand in particular to recommend?

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in your post it says fuel lines, what do you mean by that? Return lines, the plastic caps and rubber lines that go around the injectors?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle