Had to replace a battery today. Bought a group 31......

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to borrow the battery out of my 535is this morning to get to work because one of my 3 year old Autocrafts took a dirt nap and wouldnt spin the starter over last night.
Bought a 950cca napa stud top and put it in the main (pass side) battery tray. It clearly is too big for the tray and the top studs almost contact the hood when its closed. My trays are shot, so I was wondering what others running those batteries have done to clear and secure them under the hood..............

My truck is a 93 OBS truck, so im not sure if they fit better in the older 83-91 trucks or not..............

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
it is tight fitting group 31's in that year truck, there is more room in older models. i could not fit the regular post top terminals so i upgraded to the stud tops. you can see in my pics that i used welder cable ends and heat shrunk all around them. i also spread some grease around everything to keep moisture out of the connections and rotting them out.

the stud tops fit fine for me, i held them down by cutting a piece of angle iron to fit over the top and keep them clamped down. i also shimmed up the side of the battery with a small piece of wood so it was not riding on the battery tray edge.

Attachments

• DSCN0900.jpg
    DSCN0900.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN0905.jpg
    DSCN0905.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 69

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Jred, those batteries are shorter than any I've seen. Did you shorten the studs? They look shorter than the one stud type I have.

On Edit: I mean that they look shorter anyway.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Batteries are supposed to be replaced in pairs as posted above... Heres why. Think of a new battery as a full tank of water. Now connect the new battery that used and lower on amps because its older. Run a line to both of them. The full tank or battery will drain down to the level of the low tank or battery. They will finally even out but they both are low now. I know its kinda expensive but its the right thing to do. I think if you cut the battery bottom lip on the holder the battery may sit lower. You can cover the terminals with a thick piece of rubber too. that will protect the + side from grounding out on the hood.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I cut the lip as Gary said...cut it and bended it down...works great. i also did the ole hillbilly thing and strapped it down with a bungee cord.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
mine came from Autozone since i get a nice discount there. i thought they were standard sized but i honestly have not checked against another brand 31.

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do know about replacing them in pairs. I am just tight on funds till the first of next week and plan on getting a matching battery monday or tuesday. It should be fine till then. The other battery is maybe 3 months old and tested at 100% when I checked it today.
I noticed that the battery lays on the lip of the tray as some have said. The only issue seemed to be the neg post contacting the hood at the edge, so I temporarily put a piece of rubber hose over it and taped it down. Again, not a permanent solution, just what I had to do to make it work for now.
Just wondering if anyone had made their own battery trays and lowered them somehow. Ive got some ideas on making my own battery boxes with vents and drains, but just curious on what others have done.............

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I got mine at Tractor Supply so maybe mine are taller because they are geared toward tractors and equipment. :dunno

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made my own battery plate, thicker and stronger... definitely overkill but I might go do it all again to hold dual batteries :sly. I did reuse the old support arm too ;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

perk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have group 31s in my pickup. I lengthened my trays about 1/2" and lowered them about 1.5". They turn over the engine better than stock. Well worth the work in my opinion.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The studs poke up into the recess in the hood, there's plenty of room. I got a couple of those big truck rubber mudflap extension tops and strapped them over the tops of the batts just in case a real big bump causes contact, it won't hurt anything