Grid heater with ford controller

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The cummins engine has a grid heater on the intake for emissions, I want this to work and read that it might be possible to connect it to the controller on our fords, now ours controls the ground and I think it needs resistance to work properly. I'm really not very good on the electrical part besides the most simple stuff does anyone here know how to connect them and make it work? Is just a simple heater that should be on for a few seconds at startup I want it automatic so I don't want to turn it ON with a switch.

Thank You.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ez-
i'm going to following this closely. I am going to be fighting the same issue too soon. i'll be riping out the electrical out of the dodge so I have most everything to hack and slash to go into the ford.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You see I have the entire dodge wiring too but I'm really bad with electric stuff and if I chase all the wires I'll sure miss something but if I hack it to work with the already existent ford system it should work well since both systems are for startup.

I can start the engine with out the grids no problems, many guys ever use them or remove them but I guess I don't want to be caught far away in very cold weather and not one can of ether.:rolleyes:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only time i've seen the grid come on was below 40deg temps.
i always keep a can of ether with mecookoo
nothing like buring up an entire can restarting a large diesel when it is driven dry-cuss i don't understand the driver's mentality for doing so or the company for putting tamper seals on the fuel systemcookoocookoocookoo.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
He EZ, I dont have a grid on my Cummins It didn't even have one when it was in the Doner truck. I put a lot of miles on it when it was in the 85 Ford and it always started up the first 1/2 crank no matter the temp. It wasn't the dead of winter, but it was pretty close.

I do have to say that I don't have to rely on my truck nearly as much as you do and it will be put in the garage a lot this winter, but just wanted to give you the heads up.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You Darrin, I don't think this engine needs it either since it always starts on the first crank but I rather have it and don't need it...

I will see if I can get it to works automatically if not I'll have to use a switch.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
EZ,

Grid heater not needed. It has started when it was below zero and sitting outside - it just complained about it a bit as it was sitting there idle'n on about 4 cylinders for first few seconds but it started - wouldn't idle without my foot on it for few seconds but again it started. I had to just give it some throttle when the temp dropped while cranking but did just fine even in the coldest times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726