got my turbo today missing parts

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
ok i got it today i noticed im missing the hose from the cdr to the valve cover also the pipe in the valve cover .i am also missing the grommet on the oil drain casting . it is an ats turbo i got off ebay .i contacted ford up here in canada seems that they are discontinued.any other place i can find i went on the ats site couldnt find anything i noticed there is no end play but a little side to side spins well doesnt look scoured either from the fins

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
also dont have a dipstick for the aut. tranny can i make the original one work,.i was looking for a flexible one they make for c6 not e4od

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...what transmission do you have? You can get an auto dipstick tube fro J&H Diesel in Mississippi http://www.jhdiesel.com If you want the flexible one for a C6 they are available everywhere and they work, that's what I have. You could use the dipstick tube you have, heat it and bend it, that's what Old Mister Bill has done. Now, as far as the grommet, you need that....do you have the non wastegated turbo or the waste gated version? If its the non gated one, its going to be tough to find one, but perhaps you can find one non specific to a turbo application. You can also check with J&H, Central Motive Power in Albequerqe , or any of the various ATS dealers around the country... they are obsolete parts, and you're looking for NOS. As far as the vent hose, I don't think you really need or want that. You should order either the CDR valve relocation kit from Banks, or just the gear cover adapter and either plumb the hose back in to the CDR valve and the air cleaner or just run a RDT.

patternman

Reaction score
I found a pedestal grommet from http://www.1stfordparts.com/ I had a part number from a local dealer for looking it up. F3TZ6853A I haven't received the part yet so I cannot verify if it is the correct part.
I have a Ford PDF on the 7.3 IDI Turbocharged Diesel
The PDF is a very good source (72 page) and goes into lots of detail on the changes. It's an excellent read.
If your going to build or own one of these 93/94 Turbo diesels you should read this pdf.
I uploaded the PDF file to Files-upload.com
It can stay there for 30 days so anyone interested in the file should get it while the gettin is good!
Here is the link at Files-upload.com :
93 94 7.3 IDI Turbocharged Diesel Engine.pdf
This may be a must read for 93/94 7.3 IDI Turbocharged Diesel owners and actually may be of interest to us all insomuch as parts interchangeability. For example the flywheels (auto and standard) are different as well as the vibration damper and valve covers.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Now, as far as the grommet, you need that...

Now is this a grommet that replaces the one for the CDR? if so i've got the block off one that came with my new turkey pan. pay shipping and it is yours!

patternman

Reaction score
Now is this a grommet that replaces the one for the CDR? if so i've got the block off one that came with my new turkey pan. pay shipping and it is yours!

The pedestal grommet is a replacement for the CDR grommet and a block off will not work as the pedestal returns the turbo oil to the valley pan.
The pdf file I referred to above specifically states that the grommets are not the same and repeats a couple of times not to use the CDR grommet for the pedestal.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont sweat the side to side play unless the wheel touches the housing .Even brand new turbos have more clearance than you would think, need room for oil at 100k rpm's.
The factory and ats wastegated turbos are a garrett TO4H. I get parts from a gent in so-cal, and I can hone for oversize bushings. The housings wear as well as the bushings.
Ats is becoming less helpfull on IDI stuff.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Patternman

Tried the link to download the pdf as I would like this as well. It no worky. I got it to connect to something one time, which brought me back to OB.

Tom

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
wow thanks for the info my tranny is a e4od i will heat it and bend it .
i thought i can just put silicone instead of grommet it is a non wastegated turbo .i figured the grommet was for the return there is no pressure there usually

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sillicone will leak eventually. I know because the turbo kit I bought the guy did that and the whole engine was covered in oil because of it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I wish you luck in finding the correct grommet. Let us all know how it goes. Check with Central Motive Power and JH diesel.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also Dansvan said something about a vendor who was helpful in locating the parts that he needed....might search for his thread. He has an older non gated ATS as well. Please share any good parts source with me as I have this turbo and I really like it...I just worry about the obsolescence of parts...but in reality the uppipe, and grommet seem to be the only parts on here that are really special.

patternman

Reaction score
Patternman

Tried the link to download the pdf as I would like this as well. It no worky. I got it to connect to something one time, which brought me back to OB.

Tom

files-upload.com seems to be down right now. I'll try to find an alternate site to host file.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online