Good frame rust advise.....

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I am in the process of cleaning the frame and replacing spring hangers to accept a new flatbed. I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with those "rust converter" paints. The ones that you brush on and it turns the rust into a black hard coating? Any brands to stay away from or maybe the stuff isnt even worth messing with. Appreciate any advise in the matter of cleaning and preserving the frame. Thanks!

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had good luck with one of them. I am pretty lazy, so I just knock most of the rust flakes off and spray it on. Sorry I don't know the brand I use. I found it about 10 years ago at a hardware store in Alabama and bought several gallons. The label fell off years ago.
I sprayed the crap out of a 69 ford I had and then top coated it with impement paint. It lasted for years with no sign of rust returning.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have used a couple. A good place to look is Eastwood's. They are reasonable and have some good products. I just lined my tractor gas tank with one of their kits and I have to say it looks really good. Putting it on today, so we shall see. Permatex used to make one as well that worked very well, was quite expensive and was in small quantity. One of the products in the gas tank kit was a rust converter. I put a little on the outside of the tank where their was some surface rust and it looks pretty good.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
por 15, i bought some but havent used it yet but several people i know have and love the stuff. they said it is almost more an epoxy than paint. its a little steep price wise but coats anything it touches including skin so WEAR gloves. and keep it off your hotus. you cant wash it off!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I had a link to an independant test that was between Eastwood's product and POR15. It stated Eastwood's was better, which is why I bought it in the first place. At any rate, the Eastwoods stuff will also stick to anything it touches, I'm guessing that is inherent. There seems to be two products though, a rust converter, and a rust sealer. The converter turns everything neutral while the covers are just like epoxy coatings that REALLY grip a rusty surface. Eastwood's has both, not sure about the parent company of POR15 as in a converter type product.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I have heard of por15 but have never used it myself. What I am thinking about doing is hitting it with a rust converter type product and then a couple of heavy coats of Ensign 395A (tar base paint). I have used 395A lots of times before but I really want it to last so i want to neutralize the rust without sandblasting or more hassle. Nothing set in stone yet so keep the suggestions coming...just wanted to let you all know what i had in mind.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
last summer i did my frame with a coat of ospo and then a coat of zero rust and it is holding up great.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
one thing to note, POR-15 when it dries is shiney but it will dull over time. there is a special top coat available from them but it is just like regular enamal paint AFAIK, so a good gloss enamal if u wanna keep it shiney. im not sure about the rust bullet but i think it goes on blue and dries black or gray.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
por15 works great on rust, but not on bare metal, or over painted surfaces. Yes it can be top coated. Available in different colors too. I have used it and it's some tough stuff.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
POR 15 topped with tar based paint sounds like a great plan.

Former Rust Belter

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
I am getting ready to Sandblast mine and I think I am going to rhino line it all underneath since you have to take everything off to powder coat it.