Good deal or no?

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, Called up a scrapyard up north looking for an idi turbo, They have a core motor in stock but has been picked through a little, he said He has the turbo, The pedistal, airbox and intake hat and gave me a price of 400.00 shipped, Turbo would have a 90 day warrenty. Just wondering how hard it would be to fab exaust pipes, or if you can still buy them, I know you can still get the downpipe but how bout the y pipe? Oh by the way it is a factory ATS wastegated unit. Thanks

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would think that you should be able to get them through ATS, but I've heard that lately ATS customer service has gone down the drain and they dont know what the heck kind of products they are selling. Like Shane (SkimballC) called them up looking for gaskets or o-rings or something, and they told him to find the part number and then call them back. They wouldnt even look through there own part catalogue thing and look for him.

I would think that if you had to fab up your own pipes it wouldnt be to bad. Heck if you were going to go that route I bet someone on here would be willing to give you dimensions on the pipe. $400 is cheap even for a turbo alone, hopefully it is in good condition.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are we talking an old non wastegated or a factory turbo (or ATS wastegated) ATS still has many parts for the factory turbo and they can sometimes be had from Ford too. The downpipe can still be purchased from ATS or their dealers, the upipe on the non gated is cast and would probably be tough to fabricate something similar....it may or may not be possible to use ordinary exhaust piping for it. I think they use the cast which is the same metal as the snailshell in order that they expand at the same rate as they are heated. The crossover pipe is cheap and easy to fab, especially if you have an old one, if not you'll need to get exact dimensions and preferably a picture as well.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You'd really need to get the up/Y pipe that combines the crossover pipe from the drivers side manifold to the pass side and the up pipe, and preferably the crossover pipe as well. if you cant get the crossover pipe, a muffler shop could fab that up pretty easy from the existing section of your exhaust where it comes off the manifolds, but the up/y pipe fitting is a must. I should think if they still have the truck that those pieces would still be on there, but if not, Shane might still have a stock y/up pipe that you could talk him out of.

You can make an oil feed line up easily enough. I made mine from Aeroquip hose.

You would want to see if the boneyard has the valve covers too so you can relocate the CDR, you need the driver's side one ( and if you have the later style GP controller, the pass side to relocate it.

------Robert

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would only worry about the piping. There are better ways to replumb that CDR than the valve cover mount. If you have the SS controller you can also mount it in the fender well by the pass. side battery tray. The uppipe would be hard to fab....I still have no idea if it MUST be that cast iron material or if it can be a regular exhaust tubing or something else....

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the factory style wastegated unit, basically if the turbo is in good shape I am hoping to have less than 1000.00 bucks in it......I was looking around a little and I will probably just go with an updated down pipe and if I have to I will check the stealership or ATS for the crossover and up pipe.:backoff Just out of curiosity what kind of boost are people seeing out of these setups? I am actually pretty happy with the power the 6.9 is producing right now.....I am amaized at what a correctly timed pump does for you;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online