Going rate on a rebuilt 3208

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Just curious on a ballpark figure on what a rebuilt Kat 3208 turbo, non intercooled, 230hp would go for. Seeing if it's feasable to pull one out of a truck I know of & go through it. At the moment it has a rod knock. There's one on ebay for $3500, but it's a take out.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
We got a reman from cat a couple years ago, it was a 3208 non turbo 210hp though, and it ran $5000ish I think. The bad part about the cat reman is you never know what you'll get. In the end we ended up with a motor that is more worn out than the one we had. New one: crank turned down to max, bored out to max, ect. Old one: crank standard, bored out .010, ect...

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
You better start collecting up the 3208 parts as I was told parts for them are getting scarce. Rebuilt or even good used cranks are non existant. A mechanic I know told me if you have a 3208 its going to be hard to get repaired.

You may want to consider repowering the truck with something else. Most trucks the 3208s came in were Ford Louisvilles and Cab overs and Chev medium duty trucks.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Actually, the truck is going to surplus because of the many problems its had. The engine knocking just sent it sooner. I was just thinking of snagging it out of the truck before it leaves. Maybe I'll at least get some pieces, like the injector pump, injectors, & turbo setup.;)

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just asked my mechanic. He said ~$5-6,000 from Penn Diesel.

If you're going to scavenge a M/D diesel, there's a lot better ones you could spend your time pulling than a 3208!! LOL

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I know, this one was using about 4-6qts of oil a day. I guess maybe I'll just stick with bolt ons and give the turbo & head pipe to Messi on D'stop.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I always thought it would be fun to fit a 3208 IP on my 6.5. IMHO that's all worth taking off of one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online