Glowplug removal

Patriot304

Reaction score
Changing glowplugs on na 7.3 idi f250 88.
On One of the plugs the nut just spins. Won't turn the whole plug. Any tips on how to get it out?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen one that spins like you say. Are you using a 3/8 or 10mm 6 point deep socket? I use 1/4" drive myself & 3/8 socket is tighter.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the entire plug is not spinning?

If the tip swells it can stick in the head and although the plug is turning, the threads have exited the bore and there is no longer any mechanical force to unread the plug from the hole.

Place a dot with a marker as a reference on the plug then give it a half turn to see if the entire plug is spinning or if it indeed just the hex.

If the whole GP is turning you can search stuck or swollen glow plugs.

Patriot304

Reaction score
I've never seen one that spins like you say. Are you using a 3/8 or 10mm 6 point deep socket? I use 1/4" drive myself & 3/8 socket is tighter.

Using 3/8. Yes just the nut is spinning anybody else ever dealt with this problem

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 'nut' and threads are made together from one piece of metal. Sounds like glowplug may be swollen. Can you read the name on them like BERU, BOSCH or Autolite.
If you have the others out, try this: Put a large folded towel over the 1 stuck glow plug, close the hood & crank the engine over a few turns. May blow it out into the towel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online