glow plugs???

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just replaced them last night for the second time this year.turn the key on and id hear click,click.they wouldnt stay on for more than a second.very hard to start.replace glow plugs with motorcraft/berus last night.now they stay on for about 2 seconds.for some reason my WTS light hasnt worked right for about 2 years.it would come on and go right off but the GPs worked perfectly fine,so im not to concerned with the light.

any ideas?i havent really gotten into looking at it yet as i was on the phone with oldmisterbill for about an hour last night ;Sweet great guy to chat with.he gave me some ideas to try with a couple other problems.hopefully i get to meet him if he makes another trip up this way.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not yet,was on the phone for an hour and gave up on the truck for the night.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what many people do, wire in a manual control and quit worrying about what Ford's crazy system does.

There are two small terminals on the GP relay, the one with the white wire is what the controller switches. Run a wire from that terminal, through a pushbutton switch, and to any good ground. Any time you press that button the GP's will be on.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the problem with that is i let other people use the truck so it needs to work correctly.i had the switch thing at one time and didnt like it myself.id rather turn the key wait till i hear the clicking and fire it up.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Rich on this one. I used to have the manual glow plugs. Never a problem with them, but it was scary. I was always afraid anytime someone else drove the truck or I had it in for repairs. The solid state system requires good solid connections at the glow plugs, all the glow plugs to be good, and a good ground. If you have all of these, it may be time to look into a new glow plug controller or at least relay. They are said to be the same relay Ford used for everything else. I can attest to the fact that the relay on the SS controller is rather like the old power relay that the 6.9s have behind the battery box, which in turn is a lot like the fender mount starter relay...you get the picture. Cheap part...worth a try anyway. But first make sure about good clean connections and ground.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok they are fixed.i replaced the controller with one from a parts truck,cleaned all the connections including the bolt holes on the relay.dont know if the controller was the problem or not though as the connections were pretty dirty.now my WTS light actually works like it is supposed too also.:D

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 84, I was able to replace the glow plugs with 12 volt glow plugs and the maunual switch. They were rated for constant duty and you couldn't burn them out. I never found a temp condition that I couldn't start that truck. Not a good idea to start it up when it is really cold without pluging it in for a couple of hours, but sometimes you have to.

Congratulations on getting it fixed.

akoldnav

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, please provide some info on the constant duty glow plugs. The 6.2/6.5 GM engines have this option, the 6.9/7.3 should too. I'd pay twice as much or more for glows that won't burn out from over-enthusiastic manual cycling.

Ken

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get them from Diesel Auto Services. They are expensive though, but they won't burn out and drop in. You can't use them with a solid state controller though. A 6.9 controller or a pushbutton will work.