Glow Plugs Brand Rec

Neal Evans

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I'm doing a fuel system tune-up on my '91 Ford F-250 7.3L IDI--replacing injectors, return lines, glow plugs, and (perhaps) fuel lines.

Any recommendations on brand for glow plugs? I have heard that some tend to swell, making them hard to remove. My current plan is just to pick all of this up at local NAPA store. I was thinking of getting the 'NAPA Echlin Diesel' brand, though they have others:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/searc...&fullyQualified=true&isBackButtonEnabled=true

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help! I've learned a ton from this board.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you're at, but I was able to get mine through Autozone shipped next day for no extra charge. They were slightly more than Rockauto, but after RA added shipping it was a good bit less money, and at my door in less than 24 hours.

Edit to add: they were Motorcraft glow plugs.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
General consensus is Motorcraft ONLY for glow plugs.

Whatever you do do NOT but Autolite plugs.

I got lucky with my F250 that had Autolites in it when I bought it, they all came out ok. When enough went bad to cause hard starting (4 out of the 8), I put in Motorcraft.

You must be registered for see images attach

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Like others have made clear, you shouldn't use anything but motorcraft ZD9s. Anything else is taking a chance that just isn't worth it. I have gotten mine from ebay, amazon,and rock auto, but after discovering all the fake motorcraft parts being sold, I prefer rock auto.

Rock

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Like others have made clear, you shouldn't use anything but motorcraft ZD9s. Anything else is taking a chance that just isn't worth it. I have gotten mine from ebay, amazon,and rock auto, but after discovering all the fake motorcraft parts being sold, I prefer rock auto.

O'reilly sells them too if you prefer getting them from retail (for a higher price)

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
By the way, looks like Advance Auto Parts carries ZD-9s. A lot of stores local to me (Bham, Alabama), have them in stock: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/motorcraft-original-equipment-o.e.-glow-plug-zd-9/18090050-P?searchTerm=diesel glow plugs

Motorcraft or Beru (the manufacturer for Motorcraft) can be bought from rockauto.com as well. You may want to also check with your local parts store, most of the good ones (Napa or Carquest) can get you almost any brand if you ask for them.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
O'reilly sells them too if you prefer getting them from retail (for a higher price)
Unfortunately I don't have any O'Reilly stores in my area. I wish there was, they are a lot better than the dopes at advanced auto I have to deal with. I find napa to have the best customer service, but it usually comes at a price!
I appreciate you letting me know anyway

Rock

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have any O'Reilly stores in my area. I wish there was, they are a lot better than the dopes at advanced auto I have to deal with. I find napa to have the best customer service, but it usually comes at a price!
I appreciate you letting me know anyway

Rock

Advance often has the best online prices of a retail chain if you dig up a good promo code. You can return items in store that you bought online. Same with autozone and o'reilly for that matter. Cores too.