glow plug connector melted?

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
its weird i was pullin the connectors off my glow plugs to see what the plugs looked liked, the easy ones have been replaced. and when i got to the back plug, the connector was melted and the clip came off the glow plug. i wonder why 1 connector would melt and come unplugged, it is the hardest one to get to so its not like it got bumped, or did it? weird...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well because its so hard to reach it usually not taken care of. What happens is the metal clip that connects to the plug gets corrosion between it and the plug. then it heats up causing it to open up more over repeated use. A loose electrical connection builds heat. So it burns out the connection. Hopefully its an easy fix. If not just replace the glow plug harness. Uhaul has them listed on ebay all the time. They call themselves utechcenter on ebay.

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
this is a long shot, but would the harness from a '84 6.9 work? i know the clips for the glow plugs are different, but could i just take those glow plugs out and swap em into my '87? my guess would be no, but i figure its worth a shot.