Glow Plug Bypass - not working

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could check to see if there's power to the timing advance and the fast idle solenoid. If there's no power there, check to see if there's power to one or both sides of the controlling "switch". This is screwed into the passenger's side head right behind, below the thermostat housing. Sometimes, there may be some dirt (or something similar) on the blades of the switch keeping it from getting good contact with the plug that goes on top of it. On my Blue Truck, I thought it wasn't working so I started to replace it, but I decided to check for good connection first, I wiggled the plug a couple of times and the plunger on the fast idle solenoid popped out. It's worked fine since then. Yes, the key was on. You do have to have the key on in order to get power to the switch.

Everything seems to be getting power to it after using the circuit tester. I unplugged and replugged everything just to make sure the connections were good. The spades don't look new but they don't look terrible. Assuming nothing changes on the next start, time to replace?

I also checked all of the glow plugs and they each read .7ohms (so in good shape) and I also checked to make sure there was continuity with the circuit tester -lit up on all of them. The return line replacement kit came in the mail today so tomorrow or the day after I'll replace them and see how things go after the fact. Still seems like quite a strange coincidence that when the glow plug button decides to craps the bed the leak on the return lines decides to start affecting the cold starts.