Getting water and antifreeze to settle out of WMO

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I have several hundred miles on WMO now. Today I noticed a bit of a rough idle with the engine at 210F when on 100% WMO. Maybe it's just this batch. I did filter it down to 1 micron and ran all of it through a Goldenrod. Since I got this batch from several "unknown" sources (automotive shop oil drop-off), it could be that there was something not so good in this tank.

Just seems to run a little less smooth than my last tank. I'm wondering if I hit the bypass on the Goldenrod and some water/antifreeze made it into my barrels. In any case I'm thinking I'm going to heat the oil to 150F and let it settle for a few days - do we think this will make the water/af settle to the bottom of the barrel? The just pull oil 6" from the bottom and drain the last 6" periodically?

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
just wait till it settles
at work we had about 150 gallons of diesel and coolant we let it set for a week and started pulling it out and diesel first as soon as the coolant hit i just disposed of the coolant
basically its just a waiting game

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
There is a method used by the WVO crowd to check for water. It's called the hot pan test.

THE HOT PAN TEST
Smear a finger of wvo accross a fry pan (cast iron preferred)as a temp check.

Keep the sample of wvo to be tested handy. Enough for 1/4"-3/8" thickness covering the bottom works best.
Heat the pan on high temp until the smear begins to produce smoke then pour in the sample.

NOTE:
Do not pour in a sample with any visible water. If water droplets are visible no testing is needed. There is water present in your sample. Visible droplets of water will spatter hot oil out of the pan and may cause burns or fire.

Look closely at the bottom of the pan where the oil meets it. Are there very small bubbles forming. This indicates some suspended water. The number of bubbles indicates how much water is present in suspended form.

I usually accept a FEW bubbles myself. Lots of small bubbles is unacceptable to me. If crackling or popping is heard..way too much water is present.

Dana Linscott

Personally I accept no bubbles. If I see any I'll reheat my 55 gal drum of WVO to 150* and let it slow cool for days then recheck with another HPT.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Yeah frankly I think the hesitation I experienced was probably some questionable oils in the blend or something like brake fluid. Switching back to the diesel only tank cleared it up in less than a minute - then switching back when at 210F seems to have solved the problem.

I really need to get the heat exchanger going - something like an electric hotfox and some sort of coolant heated line as well, having the 'lectric one turn off after the coolant reaches temp. I really need to get on this winter is not that far away and I want to run as close to 100% as I can...

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ya i here ya on that i also need to get on a heat exchanger of some kind but i cant seem to decide on how to do it though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.