Getting my ferrett timing adapter friday

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought it as an early christmas present for myself, Cant wait to try it out and get the truck timed up. No more guessing and wondering about it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad to know your moving forwards so you can time your engine any place or any time. Having the right tool at the right time is priceless. Please post up some results and maybe a pic or viedo of how it works...

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm always screwing around with my truck so it is definitely a priceless tool. My buddy has my old 85 flatbed that he use to have before me and his dad had before him,;Really So I'm gonna time it up as well. And I'm trying to get my father in law into them, He's been looking for a good work truck. He said he wanted a Chevy and I said I thought you wanted a truck.:D

I'll see if I can come up with a video or something, Not very good at that kinda thing.

Next on my list is a pop tester.

Last edited:

9779scott

Reaction score
Where did you get it and what did it cost? I am thinking about it as well. I know my truck is out of time and do not know anyone that has one nor can I make it to a diesel shop while they are open due to my work hours.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great, gatorman2128 has been looking for one of these and I could not find the info for him. I was afraid they had quit making them.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got it in today and checked the timing, I was at 7 degrees btdc by ear. Bumped it up to 9ish @ 2k. Cant really tell much of a difference so far, Maybe a little more rattle. The only issue I'm seeing is I only have 8dbtdc at 650 idle, Anyone know why that would be? Seems to run great otherwise as usual.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The idle timing doesn't mean anything, only the setting at 2000 rpms and you have it right about where it needs to be . You'll notice a bit more power over where it was before and you should really notice a difference when you start figuring up your fuel expenses

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idle timing doesn't mean anything, only the setting at 2000 rpms and you have it right about where it needs to be . You'll notice a bit more power over where it was before and you should really notice a difference when you start figuring up your fuel expenses

Yeah I know all of that. The way I understand it is idle timing should be somewhere around 15 degrees-ish at idle? My timing doesn't change much if at all from idle to 2k rpm. Seems to run fine otherwise.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know on a luminosity meter the timing is hugely different at idle compared to 2000RPM on most engines I've messed with, but RLDSL is correct that it's the 2000rpm value you want to worry about not the idle one. The other thing you could look at is when you apply voltage to the cold timing advance solenoid is the timing advancing a degree or two or three, even at idle? That is another test that can somewhat determine if everything internally is right. Once we're talking reman pumps, the timing curve may not bear much resemblance to a factory DB2.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you don't normally worry about the timing at idle. But I could set my timing there and be in spec at 2k. Just doesn't seem right. I verified it with the number 4 injector and got the same reading.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
idle timing dont mean a thing. mel timed my 86 at the rally. he thought i was going to be retarded just my my idle timing, but at 2000 i was dead on 8.5 degrees. at idle i had 4* BTDC.