Gettin' the 450 read to work.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Seeing that the 97 F450 SD I just bought is pretty much ready to work I started looking for a cheap flat deck for it. I have my initial start up costs sorted out (insurance, plates, repairs) so the faster there is a deck on it I can start looking for work. If I can make some dough then I can finish the truck off the way I want it.;Sweet....I bought a 7.5ft x 11ft deck for it this morning for $500, all steel and in good shape with a steel head board and tie downs. It was on a chevy so it will need minor mod's to the back bone to fit my chassis....I sent the old man over to make the deal this morning, my wife and 3 kids (3yr old and twin's 3 weeks old) are all sick with a cold so I couldn't leave the house.:rolleyes:...Pics to come today.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....I sent the old man over to make the deal this morning, my wife and 3 kids (3yr old and twin's 3 weeks old) are all sick with a cold so I couldn't leave the house.:rolleyes:...Pics to come today.
get ready for the germ swap-cuss
i had to deal with every cold that came into town for years when the wife was teaching germ infested, snot dripping rugrats.....it gets real fun when everybody is passing it between each other at home and then a "new" one appears in the vicious cycle.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It's going around for sure.:mad:-cuss.....Here's some pic's of my new deck, well work $500 to me...I doubt I could build it for less.;Sweet....I Also scored a freebie 97 F150 today, brought it home - there's enough good parts left to pay for the deck...Kijiji here I come...Again....:D:rotflmao

You must be registered for see images attach

discbrks

Reaction score
What's the cab-to-axle measurement on that 450?

Good lookin' bed... you just need some boxes to mount under it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the cab-to-axle measurement on that 450?

Good lookin' bed... you just need some boxes to mount under it.
the length look like a 84"ca
the bed in the pic should have enough length to accommodate the frame, but if not, he's got a little adding on to do.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The frame is 11ft from the back of the cab to the hitch, the new deck is 11ft too so it's a good fit. I would have liked it a little longer but if my new trucking business venture pans out I want to make/buy a dumping deck or make this one dump so I can do more types of work with it. It will all hinge on the amount/type of work I can get. this truck will likely plow in the winter too.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I shelled out $500 in the last 2 days buying up all the parts for the truck, 4 new shocks, front fuel tank, blower resistor, rear tank straps, fan belt and etc. That should tighten the old girl up a little. I got 6 free Motorcraft GP's from my buddy - new in the bags too.:D....And - he is going to lend me his EDGE Evolution programmer to tweek the truck a little if I choose to.:angel:...I can't wait to get the deck on this thing and get some use out of it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Another update: I recieved my flat deck yesterday, both it and the truck at at my work so I can get it mounted. The deck was built for a Ford so it should be easy to put it back on one.:D....Deck on, minor other repairs to do and it should be ready to work early next week at the latest.;Sweet.....Got a freebie new fender and hood for it today too from a buddy for the paint job in the spring.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
UPDATE: I have the flat deck sitting on the truck, I just need to finish the fuel tank filler necks before I bolt it down. I cut the C-channels off and welded the rails up to suit my frame instead of the chevy. It fit's good, I should have some pics this week when it's done. I have to have it on the road by the end of the week if all goes well.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The flatdeck is on, not quite finished but it's bolted to the truck. I have another winch to mount and some lighting work to do.

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
The foxman has in his lower an ex- flatbed with a dump siccor already mounted under it. Might be easier than trying to reinvent a dump mechanism and I would probably part with it.