Gears

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for tires to help fuel mileage i wouldnt recommend a wide tire just a taller tire, my jeep has a 2.5L4, 4.88 gears and a 33/10.50r15 and it gets 20mpg, it is also a 5-speed and has frt and rear lockers, just have to match the tires with the gears, and its always easier to put tires on then gears

aaklingler

Reaction score
not on a dually, what are the without gaining any width over 235/85s and I bet there isn't much clearance to go much taller without lift.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you have a fan clutch issue... My truck does much the same towing, but, it never gets hot enough that I think I'm going to hurt something, but, it does get warm enough that I get worried, and it's issue is that the fan clutch doesn't lock up.
My engine quite happily runs at 2500/70 mph pulling 10K plus all day, just if I make it pull on big hills(I don't have a heavy foot or anything....) it heats up.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
i never inspected the fan clutch at all, so what your saying is that its possible that at higher rpm the water pump is moving but its not grabbing the fan to spin it?

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
not on a dually, what are the without gaining any width over 235/85s and I bet there isn't much clearance to go much taller without lift.

i see that you have a 92 7.3 E40D like mine, but with the 3.55's. did you swap those out or did it come with them, and how does your diesel like that high of a gear?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
You also can't get a speedometer gear to calilbrate it properly with 3.08 gears and stock 235/80/16 tires and will always be about 5 mph off.
don't remember now for sure, but IIRC, my '90 2WD dullay came with 215r75x16 or so. When I went to 235R85x16 it threw my speedo off about 6%....loose about 6mi/100mi. Back when I used to worry about my driving record I bought a diff. colored speedo drive gear (they come in colors for diff. speeds)....but lost it before it got used.

Now I just drive like I stole it everyday!!!:rotflmao

aaklingler

Reaction score
i see that you have a 92 7.3 E40D like mine, but with the 3.55's. did you swap those out or did it come with them, and how does your diesel like that high of a gear?

They are the factory gears. They work out real nice with the diesel as long as your running empty or with a light load. I used to pull a light open trailer with it, probably never grossed over 10-11k lb., it wouldn't take much of a grade and I'd be dropping to 3rd gear and the speed would fall of. Since I bought the 93 I quit towing with it.