Gauge Placement on the post . . . Opinions needed

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... I took the 7.3 idi turbo crewcab dually over the mountain at warp speed and it failed on the uphill.
I kinda expected it to as I was pushing it pretty hard from the git go.
A trip to the junk yard to pick up a rubber air dam to stuff from the bottom of the radiator to the bottom of the core support should help with air flow. I *might* pull the grill and put some side air dams in place also.
Uh. . . . Ordered up another fan clutch and should get around to installing the 4 gauge post pod.
SO!
Oil pressure, Water temp, Exhaust Pyro, Trans temp. All in Auto meter "Z' Series.
Which one on top? 2nd hole? 3rd? Bottom?
I need to get to the exhaust shop and get the ptyro bung mounted also.
Passenger side, on the cross pipe as close as possible to the manifold, correct?
Now to plumb all this mess and get it road ready again in about two weeks.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did top to bottom, oil, water, boost, pyro

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Passenger side, on the cross pipe as close as possible to the manifold, correct?
Driver's side. The passenger's side has your Y pipe there. From my admittedly limited experience, a lot of pyros don't come with very long leads for the probe so it may not be able to reach from your passenger's side.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the same 4 I'm running.

Top down I went

Trans Temp
Pyro
Water temp
Oil pressure

I pre-made a harness for the pillar gauges.

Here it is tucked up in the dash.

Made things much easier overall.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mounted my pyro in the driver manifold by #2 exhaust port.
From what I understand, this is the best place for the thermocouple and gives the most accurate reading. It's also pretty easy to drill and tap the manifold. Drill a small pilot hole being careful to not go all the way through then finish drilling with the engine running. Let it cool, coat your tap with a heavy coat of grease to catch the chips and your GTG. As to gauge location, I've got oil pressure, trans temp and coolant temp on the piller in that order. Pyro and boost are in a two gauge pod dash top right in front of me, that way I can see what's going on without taking my eyes off the road when towing big and heavy in challenging situations.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's slick! I have yet to unbox the pyro and the lead length I suspect might be an issue. I am outside playing with other problems and she even has me installing an A/C unit today. Yes dear.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I had to double check myself, but I have a three gauge pod with the pyro on top, boost gauge (still dreaming since it's still N/A) in the middle, with vacuum on the bottom. No I didn't have to check how many gauges are in the pod, I had to check locations. A little misleading since the boost gauge is inop so I usually forget about it for now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online