Gasser to diesel drive train swap

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
some great shots. Thanks.

Some real interesting differences from the 70's to 80's trucks. Like my 460 mounts are on the cross member in about the area that your 6.9 mounts are. Makes me worry just a bit.

Thanks again,

Calvin

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, you really need to throw some more paint on that thing. It's just wrong not to at least rattle can it to death. :D As for the mounts, as expected. Did you have to grind the rivets off the gasser mounts like I did on the Bronco? The didn't actually sit on the cross member as much as they did the frame.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 460 mounts are much like the smallblock mounts you would have had to deal with Mel, and mount to the back of the engine crossmember. The 6.9 mounts, believe it or not, those holes that lined up for your BKO swap are also for the 300 I-6 mount pads... The 460/diesel trucks run the same crossmember, so no issues with the 4th bolthole. Some 351W trucks also have the same crossmember, they tend to be the later 90's ones.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ron, you really need to throw some more paint on that thing. It's just wrong not to at least rattle can it to death. :D As for the mounts, as expected. Did you have to grind the rivets off the gasser mounts like I did on the Bronco? The didn't actually sit on the cross member as much as they did the frame.

I know, it's really bugging me to throw this thing together with a fresh coat of paint on the sheet metal and a rusty ole frame.cookoo
Maybe I'll give Nick a rattle can and let him go at it since he did duch a nice Lady Moose tailpipe paint job on hiself at the rally.:backoff

Although, the bed crossmembers are what's really getting me. They're in fair condition and I'd really like a better bed to go on there because of it. Just an awful lot of work for a firewood haulin' plow truck.:confused:

Grind the rivets off? HA! The guy I got Mater from is letting me use his torch!:love:
2 bolts and 3 rivets on the left mount all for a 460 to sit on with a broken left motor mount.:puke:

Glad I didn't goose it too hard after I got it home. Prolly would have been easier to remove the engine then me thinks.:eek:

The 460 mounts bolted to the top of the frame rails and bolted/riveted to the engine crossmember as was said.;Sweet

As for the gasser in Mater, I thnk the Raven said it best.... "Nevermore" :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the 460 mounts were the same as for the 302 then. Yea, I torched em' also. Nick with a spray can. Now there is a visual. LOL He'd probably look like that little black kid on the Lil' Rascals.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well I got my good redneck fix for the night. Since I've had to strip out ole Red in the yard, I needed a rolling lift to get the trans up and out. Yep guessed it right, the 8N to the rescue.:D
Ran the lift in thru the passenger door and run the strap round the trans and lifted it up while I smashed the living begeebers out of my right middle finger. Yup split it in 2 places and gave the fingernail something to complain about.
So I dropped the trans down and drug it out from under the ever so rusting donor Red.

tried to get it set in Mater tonight but the neighbor came over and saw my finger and said I needed medicating to make that finger stop throbbing.:cheers:
THen the tractor ran out of gas and do you think I could get the wiring figgerd out to run the gas out of Mater's tanks. NO!

As they say....Tomorow, tomorrow there's no better finger smashing than tomorrow. It's only a day away.LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, it scares me to think that I might be right, but there is this little voice in my head saying "tell him the fuel pump is a pink wire with a blue stripe". I have no idea why I would remember that, especially if it's true. LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Agnem; said:
Ron, it scares me to think that I might be right, but there is this little voice in my head saying "tell him the fuel pump is a pink wire with a blue stripe". I have no idea why I would remember that, especially if it's true. LOL

Easier said than done, cause the wiring has been completly discombooberated and hacked up like a pro did it.......NOT!!!!!-cuss

Yep before I tore Mater down, I made the mistake of flipping the seletor valve switch and the PO told me after the fact that it blows a fuse whn ya do that.
Oh well, tomorrow night will be the start of the wiring conversion as Mater got his tranny tonight.:eek:

No don't say it cause I already gots one gay truck.LOL

Man talk about a major PITA putting the trans and transfer case in with the 8N and a smashed finger.

So before I drop the cab on next week I gotta get the transfer case R/R'ed cause it only has 2 wheel drive mode, dang thing pops out of 4x4 mode hi and low.
Too bad I just couldn't swap over the t-case I just pulled out.

Anybody got an idear what I might be looking at tearing apart a BW 1345?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only ever had the back case half off of mine. Believe it or not, that whole back half of a 1345 is nothing more than a cover. You take it off, and you still don't have anything to look at except the oil pickup. LOL