Gasser to diesel drive train swap

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ok a few update pics on Mater.
Lots of scrap for the local scrap yard.:puke:

The question I have on doing the diesel conversion, I've noticed not only the mounts are located differently for the 460 but I may have also discovered that the driveshafts may also be different lengths between the 460 and the 6.9.:mad:

The 460 mounting plates are behind the center crossmember over the front axle and the diesel mounting plates are directly over top the center crossmember.

Darrin has a set of diesel mounting plates on the parts truck that he currently has so I've got that covered, but the driveshaft issue is a concern.
My goal on this truck is 500 clams and no more.

Anybody got some input or experiences on this?
Or does the different mounting locations account for same driveshaft lengths for gasser and diesel apps?

Oh hey Darrin, I've got another degreasing job for Tony.:D

Attachments

• P5310140.JPG
    P5310140.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 24
  • P5310141.JPG
    P5310141.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 17
  • P5310142.JPG
    P5310142.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 22
  • P5310143.JPG
    P5310143.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 18
  • P5310144.JPG
    P5310144.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 15
  • P5310145.JPG
    P5310145.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 12
  • P5310146.JPG
    P5310146.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 20

IDIeselman

Reaction score
I think you should be ok Ron. If I remember right the mounts bolt alot closer to the front of the block on the diesels and are real close to center on the 460. If nothing else put the trans/TC in the stock location and bolt the plates on the motor before you set it in and weld the snot out of e'm.

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
Ok the mounts are only located differnt? Are they at least the same mount otherwise?

Can you take some measurements for us? Me anyway. Whatever you can get that you can think would matter for a 460 to 6.9 swap. I am cooking dinner so can not give this message the love it needs.

Thanks,

Calvin

OK had a minute. Also the motor mounts are forward on the 6.9? That worries me. I want to move the engine 2 inches forward of stock but maybe this means I need to move my mounts 4 inches forward to do it or more? That is cutting into my Xmber a bunch more than I like.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, when I did the Moosestang, it occured to me the genious of Ford engineering. What did Henry Ford show the world how to do? Production! That's really his claim to fame, and it still shows in every Ford. The money saving techniques of design re-use are very evident in every Ford truck. My theory is this. Ford engineers picked a spot on the frame that was common to every truck, and said... "Here! This is the spot where the engine and trans will stop, and the driveline will start. I'll be extremely disappointed if you don't find out that when you drop your diesel/trans combo in there, that the Yoke doesn't end up in exactly the same spot as the one you yanked out. The 302/AOD/1356 combo which was replaced by the much more massive 6.9/C6/1356 set mated perfectly to that stubby little Bronco driveshaft.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Ok the mounts are only located differnt? Are they at least the same mount otherwise?

Can you take some measurements for us? Me anyway. Whatever you can get that you can think would matter for a 460 to 6.9 swap. I am cooking dinner so can not give this message the love it needs.

Thanks,

Calvin

OK had a minute. Also the motor mounts are forward on the 6.9? That worries me. I want to move the engine 2 inches forward of stock but maybe this means I need to move my mounts 4 inches forward to do it or more? That is cutting into my Xmber a bunch more than I like.

THe frame mounting plates are located differently between the 2 engines.
I'll be yanking the motor out Friday night and will hopefully have the diesel mounting plates Saturday. I'll have to get the frame cleaned up a bit as Mater has almost as musch oil/crud buildup as Big Ed had.:rolleyes:

I'll get a few pics run up when I get to a higher speed dialup location.

Agnem said:
Ford engineers picked a spot on the frame that was common to every truck, and said... "Here! This is the spot where the engine and trans will stop, and the driveline will start. I'll be extremely disappointed if you don't find out that when you drop your diesel/trans combo in there, that the Yoke doesn't end up in exactly the same spot as the one you yanked out.

;Sweet Kinda betting on that at this point, but I had my doubts after looking at the differences between the 2. You should know since ya did a conversion already.:thumbsup:

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was originally a gasser, The 6.9 plates will bolt in, but If memory serves me right the drivers side you can only use three of the bolt holes due to the hole in the crossmember for the gasser oil filter, I just made a piece of metal to fit and welded it in a drilled some new holes, worked out great. Good luck. -Brad-

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 460 truck doesn't have the aforementioned hole, the crossmember is the same.
Everything from the bellhousing back is the same location wise. Between my pair, they're even the same basic parts(T19's have different ratio sets, but everything is interchangeable.)
My buddy's 88 F350 crew 4x4 has the factory 460/ZF driveshafts, and, while it now has a ZF behind the 6.9, it had a T19 when we first converted it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your crossmember only can support 3 bolts, that's all you need. :angel:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Agnem said:
If your crossmember only can support 3 bolts, that's all you need. :angel:

:thumbsup: That'll work for me. Mater's just gonna be a workin truck.

Well as of tonight Mater is motorless.LOL

Got the engine drivetrain pulled out tonight.
Man ya gotta love the ole 8N and a Dearborn 3 pt lift. Took that trans and t-case combo removal a 2 minute process. Up up and AWAY!LOL
Tomorrow after the run to GR to get Big Ed rolling and then I gets to get greasy removing over an inch of sludge, hopefully ready to drop the 6.9 into it's new home.:thumbsup:

More to follow.

Last edited:

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so fuel tanks and fuel lines are all the same? im thinking about this swap for my trk as well cause my 460 get 8mpg on a good day, what about rad as well? and then brk booster? any thing else to switch? not trying to take over this post just curious

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...what about rad as well? not trying to take over this post just curious.....
you will be better off getting a diesel core support and radiator assy. the diesel lower section can be welded in, but keep in mind the core support sees twisting stress from all three axis. that is the reason why they are prone to cracking.
oh yea. don't worry about asking additional questions. That one was at least on topic. We're full of threads that have been "driven into the weeds" around here:thumbsup:

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
The 302/AOD/1356 combo which was replaced by the much more massive 6.9/C6/1356 set mated perfectly to that stubby little Bronco driveshaft.

The AOD is longer than the C6 however, I think you just got lucky. As there are at least 3 different driveshaft lengths for the Bronco depending on which tranny and transfer case was used.

Adrianspeeder

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Yup as Towcat said ya gotta have the extra capacity for cooling. I've got 2 deep radiators and a poor condition lower half of a core support that I'll be grafting onto a good upper half of a core support. Should work, done it once before.:rolleyes:

Well Mater is the proud owner of a 6.9 now. Got the frame mounting plates installed and yep used all 4 bolts per plate too. The motor dropped right in there like it belongs.;Sweet
The trans is on store for tonight. Just gotta get it out of ole Red.

I'll dump a few more pics tonight when I hit the high speed.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The AOD is longer than the C6 however, I think you just got lucky. As there are at least 3 different driveshaft lengths for the Bronco depending on which tranny and transfer case was used.

Adrianspeeder

Possibly. I can see where a different transfer case would be a factor.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well here's todays share.

Just a few shots of the frame and what bolts are used for the diesel swap and the before and after shots of the installed mounting plates.;Sweet
I've circled the needed holes in the frame crossmember that are used for the diesel mounting plates. All 8 were predrilled and the plates bolted up with ease.
Just for giggles I painted the frame in that area as a gag since that will be the most paint the frame will prolly see. This is killing me to not make it a full blown project.

Well tonight was to be the weather was a wee bit too unbearable to work outside in. 94 degrees in the shade with 80%+ humidity. Heck just walking to the shop caused one to work up a sweat. Not like someones air conditioned shop that I had to work in Saturday.:rolleyes:
So I cleaned out ole Red and took him for one more spin round the back field and he decided to run out of gas and make me drag a gas can all the way back out just for a measly gallon of gas.:mad:

Attachments

• Mater frame left before.JPG
    Mater frame left before.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Mater frame right before.JPG
    Mater frame right before.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Mater frame left after.JPG
    Mater frame left after.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Mater frame right after.JPG
    Mater frame right after.JPG