G to BB injectors

gadd

Reaction score
I've searched and read a bunch of threads, but have not found a definitive answer.

I ordered a set of reman injectors from Pensacola diesel for my 94 turbo and expected Gs, but they sent BBs. I've read that the BBs are touted is a superior injector, but I've haven't seen an explanation as to why ( other that the G is an "emissions" injector, but that tells me nothing).

I've read that the pop pressure is different between the two, so my question is, will I need to re-time the pump if I use the BBs?

Paul

FordGuy100

Reaction score
They have a different tip (believe it's called pintle) design. G's pop higher that BB's. Other than that they are the same thing. Pintle design was changed due to emmisions I'm pretty sure. Anything to do with emmisions....well...sucks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes you will need to time the engine. Even if you installed another set of G codes. Any injector thats been run for at least 5000 miles will loose pop pressure. It usually stablizes around 5000 miles. But as time and miles add up the pressure begins to decay. At 1400 lbs you really can't run very well. These injectors usually need to be replaced around 150,000 miles or so. Now changing the pop pressure will change the timing because of the differant pressures. If you are timed for a pop open pressure of say 2100 lbs and you install an injector that pops open at 2300 lbs your timing will be retarded. Now if the pressure on the new injectors is lower you will now be advanced on the timing.... No matter what injector you install the motor really should be timed so you get the most economy amd performance from your engine... I will be renting timing meters very soon so everyone can check and adjust their timing...

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched and read a bunch of threads, but have not found a definitive answer.

I ordered a set of reman injectors from Pensacola diesel for my 94 turbo and expected Gs, but they sent BBs. I've read that the BBs are touted is a superior injector, but I've haven't seen an explanation as to why ( other that the G is an "emissions" injector, but that tells me nothing).

I've read that the pop pressure is different between the two, so my question is, will I need to re-time the pump if I use the BBs?

Paul

Those injectors should be fine.

My truck came with the BB injectors in 1986 - though a "naturally asphixiated " engine then :D:D. Incidently, when replaced, the original injectors were a mixture of Stanadyne and CAV.

So yes, BB injectors should run just fine in your engine.

The BB deliver as much power to a turbo'ed engine as you would normally need - I have maxed my fuel out to give no more than 12 psi boost on the turbo - for my peace of mind mainly!

mariner

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my G's out and replaced with new BB's and have no complaints. I did this over a year ago and the new BB's made the truck idle much smoother and run better fuel mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Members online