Fuel tank??

Ironmule

Reaction score
Hello,89 f350 7.3
filled both tanks came home on front tank parked leaked fuel. FSV is dry .
Switched to rear tank went for a drive came back home left switch on rear.
Fresh cardboard under front tank no leak? Any Ideas? Thanks.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Not enough info. Where is the drip? Maybe your filler hoses are cracked and leaking.

Ironmule

Reaction score
Not enough info. Where is the drip? Maybe your filler hoses are cracked and leaking.
Found it someone in the past brazed around a few spots on the top edges.
Time for a new tank....Metal or plastic?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Metal is what I use. I have heard of people having problems with the retaining ring for the sending unit on some plastic tanks.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put two new plastic tanks in years ago, no problems. Also, I used gas sending units. You can purchase them without the pump, very cheap & easy to get as compared to the diesel specific components. As the years roll by, I'm guessing diesel components for these fuel systems will continue to get more and more pricey and difficult to find simply because gas powered trucks far out sold the diesels.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put two new plastic tanks in years ago, no problems. Also, I used gas sending units. You can purchase them without the pump, very cheap & easy to get as compared to the diesel specific components. As the years roll by, I'm guessing diesel components for these fuel systems will continue to get more and more pricey and difficult to find simply because gas powered trucks far out sold the diesels.

You had to modify the gas sending units correct?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I simply added a piece of rubber fuel line where the pump would have normally been located and a strainer on the end which lays on the bottom of the tank. Also bought a wiring pigtail that plugs into the sender and splice my wires to it. The entire thing was very economical and it's now setup for easy low cost replacement if they ever fail. Both of my tanks rusted and leaked, my decision to use plastic replacements was aimed at circumventing the rust issue and it's very likely the same reason most vehicles today are designed with them.