Fuel tank questions

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a new 19 gal side tank for my 1989 f250. Rockauto shows the spectra F6C for 1989 and F6D for 1990 to 1996. Anyone know what the difference is? They have the same dimensions. I didnt think the frames were any different? Anyone delt with this? Thanks in advance

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For one thing, they use a different fuel sending unit. 87-89 vs. 90-91 so the contours in the tank where the fuel sending unit mounts might be different. You would probably need to contact a company that makes and/or sells the tanks to answer that question.

Scroll down until you see the diesel fuel senders. I waited about 5 years before that 87-89 side tank sending unit finally became available. I'm glad I waited and didn't buy a different one and try to make it work properly.
http://www.trexautoparts.com/products/1985-1996-fordr-fs-pickup-19-gal-side-tank

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also note: The fuel sending units need to be specifically manufactured for your year of truck or van due to changes made by FORD in the resistance of the fuel gauge circuits over the years of production, otherwise the gauge won't read properly. The gauge resistance specifications are somewhere in the Ford Factory Service Manuals.

Prior to reading your post that's the only difference in the sending units that I knew about.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also note: The fuel sending units need to be specifically manufactured for your year of truck or van due to changes made by FORD in the resistance of the fuel gauge circuits over the years of production, otherwise the gauge won't read properly. The gauge resistance specifications are somewhere in the Ford Factory Service Manuals.

Prior to reading your post that's the only difference in the sending units that I knew about.
The divide for the different resistance is 1986-1987. 1986 and down gauges work different than 1987-up.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Looking at the pictures on rockauto, it looks like there's some keyed slots where the sender fits into the tank. One has them at approx 9 and 2 o'clock vs 8 and 3.

Something I've noted on other tanks/models is that EFI years have a sump or baffle area in the tank.... maybe the diesel sender was revised to match?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up ordering the f6d which is for the 87 89. Thanks for the tips on the sending units. I actually wont be using the feed or return from the sending unit. I will be installing a large draw straw. Also will be running a holley dash which i can program to any resistance. Thanks for the help guys. Just wanted to make sure i got the right tank.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Another quick question. Do the 89 f250s 19 gal side tank have a skid plate or does the tank strap to the frame by itself? Thanks. My truck hasnt had a side tank in it for many years. I dont remember

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tank straps to the frame. The skid plate then mounts under it with little legs. The straps go into key-hole slots in the crossmembers on the driver's side frame, and then long bolts on the driveshaft side.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Correct the standalone is essentially a programmable dash with sensor inputs and outputs as well as relay outputs and inputs. So i run all of my sensors fuel psi, oil psi, coolant temp , boost , egt ect into it. It also has digital programmable switchs that you can make do what ever you want and control relays. The cool part is everything on the screen is customizable. Color size. Type of gauge. Flashy lights. Buttons. Even has multiple screens you can swipe and have an untire different dash. I will be putting my entire isspro performax setup with brain up for sale soon.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct the standalone is essentially a programmable dash with sensor inputs and outputs as well as relay outputs and inputs. So i run all of my sensors fuel psi, oil psi, coolant temp , boost , egt ect into it. It also has digital programmable switchs that you can make do what ever you want and control relays. The cool part is everything on the screen is customizable. Color size. Type of gauge. Flashy lights. Buttons. Even has multiple screens you can swipe and have an untire different dash. I will be putting my entire isspro performax setup with brain up for sale soon.
Damn man sounds legit, got any pictures of that bad Larry?

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have adaption for turning the mechanical speed into a digital read?