fuel system upgrades need help

loggin350

Reaction score
hey there, first off i will apologize im sure the info is on here buti dont have the time to search the forum i only have 20 minutes on a computer every few days because im in the Marine Corps serving in afghanistan currently, and im gonna order parts to have my truck (1993 f350 reg cab long bed 4x4 7.3l idi non-turbo 5 spd) freshened up for when i get home, so i was lookin into a baby moose but is it worth it without a turbo? and i need new injectors and lines and everything im gonna have the entire fuel system replaced so please tell me what to order and where to order it so i have a nice strong idi to come home too, also luk single mass flywheel cutch any good? thanks - matt

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel should be able to supply you with everything you need. Baby Moose pump, Injectors and a return line kit.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Matt and thank you very much for serving our country.:thumbsup: As posted above, Mel is the person to deal with for all your needs. A baby moose... A set of new BB code injectors and a return line kit will get you what you want. If a turbo is aded later on the baby moose will be fine.. Take care over there and again welcome to the forum.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Matt, I also will thank you for your service to our country.

Mel supplies more than simple parts. He is trustworthy. The injectors are tested and adjusted for "pop" pressure. He is also a standup guy that will stand behind anything he sells.
I don't know how far Cortland, NY is from Delta, PA, but I am willing to bet that after you return home, members here would be willing to meet you at Mel's, and assist with the work. Mel also has the equipment and experience to properly time your injection pump. He ( and Suzzi and family) are hospitable beyond any possible expectation.

loggin350

Reaction score
awesome thank you for all the responses and the support, i will message Mel and see what i can get rolling, and if i had time to meet some folks from the forum to help me with the truck i would but the military is a bit of a stickler for time off so im hoping to have all the parts on and ready to go by the time i get home because im sure i will be driving all over to visit family and friends (i put 3000 miles on in 16 days on predeployment leave just trying to visit as many people as i could haha and the truck has about 207,000 miles on it now and im willing to bet most everything lie clutch and fuel system is still stock haha) but thank you all again and feel free to keep posting to suggest anything else i should consider.

Also how hard is it to time the pump, because my father inlaw will be doing most of the work for me and would like to pass on all the pointers i can to help out, thanks again everyone. - Matt

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your father in law should probably sign up an account here unless he's one of these guys that's real experienced with mechanically injected diesels and would find that suggestion insulting. If he's a generally handy guy, with either a manual or the good info from the collective here, especially Agnem's article about servicing the fuel system, he should have no problem with it, especially since we point out common pitfalls (eg not reinstalling line insulating clamps, removing the IP gear tower) timing it will be more of a challenge, he'll be able to get it close by ear if he knows what a healthy IDI should sound like and he has the patience of Job, otherwise, searching for an OB member close by with the right tools or a Stanadyne shop that still uses timing tools and works on these things to do the timing is a better bet. Timing specs are usually 8.5-9.7*BTDC with the pulse method. Luminosity method works well but is more controversial around here. For that an acceptable setting could be anywhere from 0*ATDC to -5ATDC depending on elevation and fuel quality. As stated, the baby moose is simply a high quality stock rebuild offered through Agnem. It has consistently gotten good reviews. Last but not least, thanks for your service and stay safe over there man.

loggin350

Reaction score
well, for starters hes not so great with computers haha and he is mechanicly knowledgeable, but i almost feel bad setting a task as big as this on his shoulders. I geuss i would like to know if anybody has any info on shops in NY or PA, or if there are any members here that would possibly be willing to host a place to do the work, in which case my fuel system is still ok now and i could drive to them and they could help guide me in the process? I normally dont like being a burden like that to others but this is something i have never dealt with and would not want to screw it up.

Mel, if you see this i see that Delta, PA is about 5 hours from where my truck is in ny and Michael Fowler suggested that you may be willing to help me do the work? if so i would be more than happy to drive to you for your expertise. But i dont want to be an inconvienance of any sort though. and i dont know exactly when i would go on post deployment leave but my geuss is february or march of the upcoming year.

Again thank you all for the help with this it means alot too me, - matt