Fuel Selector Valve wiring..

kcnicolle

Reaction score
Hi all. So I finally got fed up with my stock fuel selector valve after leaving me stranded on the road, so I went with 2 manual 3-way ball valves. Works incredible, got the idea from another post on here. If I can find the link I’ll post it. My question is...what’s the best way to modify the existing wiring to have my fuel gauge work based on the old selector switch? Is there a way to jumper the wires? I’ve got the diagram but can’t quite figure it out. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just as a simple suggestion, can you leave the FSV plugged into the wiring harness? This way, you could use the factory switch on the dash to switch gauges. Obviously, it wouldn't matter one iota to the fuel lines since you've bypassed the FSV, but it would still work the electronics like it was intended to.

kcnicolle

Reaction score
I was thinking that..but the problem is with the valve plugged in, it blows my fuse every time. Obviously something pretty wildly wrong with the valve

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I can see why you're going this way then. I've already just about exhausted my electrical knowledge here so I'll let someone more knowledgeable take over from here.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inside that valve body there is a motor that is responsible for moving the contacts to change the connections for the fuel level signals. Best case you could use one of the power wires that's down there to drive a relay that has a Form C contact to connect one sender or the other to the gauge wire. It may be a bit more complicated than that b/c I don't remember what the circuit for powering the valve looks like but it could be that easy or it might require a couple of relays again depending on how power is applied to the circuit from the dash switch. Alternatively you could install a toggle switch that powers a relay with a form C contact and do the same thing, you'd have to run your own wiring for that. Or you can buy a new valve just to use the motor operated switch $45 on ebay

Ford F250 Super Duty F350 Super Duty Fuel Tank Selector Valve DAC

https://ebay.us/jAtEGv

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If memory serves correctly, the polarity is switched to move the valve. Wires going to the switch would be two for the motor, and I believe signal for both sending units, feed to the gauge, and a signal ground maybe?

Might be able to tie each sending unit to one of the stock switch wires, then run a two position switch from those wires in the stock location to the gauge from there.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can run both fuel sender wires to the switch.
delete the FSV completely and rewire the switch

kcnicolle

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking, but I am unfamiliar with the wiring unfortunately

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
either buy a vacuum and electrical manual, or simply spend some time with a multimeter to figure it out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online