Fuel return line to tank

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
I noticed the fuel line that runs from the rear of the engine compartment (near the glow plug relay) and back toward the fuel tanks is leaking all over the frame of my 1989 idi. It looks as if there's several different types and sizes of tubing that have been spliced together over the years by the previous owner.

Can someone tell me what size fuel line should be on there (5/16"?)
How much length of fuel line I'll need?
Anything else I'll need to get to do the repair.

It looks like the fuel line goes into some kind of contraption mounted on the frame near the front tank. Is that thing the tank selector valve? It's difficult to see under there ... can't tell how the return line ties into that doohickey - does the fuel line just twist off of that thing or what?

Any help would be appreciated!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the tank selector valve is stock, there is a little clip that you need to pull out to disconnect the line.

You must be registered for see images

You will probably need to unbolt the selector valve from the frame to get to the lines.

I'm not sure how the lines are up on the motor but it's 5/16 nylon line to the selector valve. You need to figure out where the leak actually is though.

smithman

Reaction score
Look at the back of the engine down ward to look for leaks. Follow the line down and the connectors or line could be an issue.

To replace bad or rusted lines...
I used 5/16 steel brake lines for the majority of the runs and did short runs with gates barricade hose. Hose clamps also. Oreillys had elbows and connectors that could be put onto hoses. Consider redoing whatever you can access since other lines may not be far behind.

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Here's a picture of my return to tank setup. As you can see there's the 5/16 push connection at one end. Leading to 5/16 nylon. The last 10", where it ties into the hard line from the injectors and injection pump is 5/16 fuel hose. Should I replicate this setup or is there a better way to do it?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better way would be run a foot of rubber on each end and run steel between them. Personally.... I would just run rubber the whole way and call it good.

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
:idiot: I just cross threaded the top of one of my injectors while replacing my return caps. I see several different posts that suggest using a tap and die to rethread it. However, there seems to be several different people suggesting several different thread sizes. Anyone what size thread our injectors are on the top? 12x1.5 mm seems to be the popular answer.