Fuel Problems

RenoF250

Reaction score
My future BIL was driving his truck (99 F350 CC) down the road this evening when it sputtered and died and then would not start again. I had him check the filter bowl and there was nothing in there (he was below 1/4 but not empty yet) so he put more in, cycled the key about five times, still no fuel or start (sputters but no start). Ends up getting it towed home and goes to try it again. This time fuel leaks out all over from the filter, he fixes that and it starts right up. The question is what was the problem? It is very likely he was low on fuel but why did it not start after he added more before he had it towed? He said he tried it many times and waited each time for the pump to pump the fuel up. Does it take more than 5 cycles of the pump to get fuel back up there?(he says he did it more than 5 but we are sure of 5) He said the pump sounded different when he was home also, he could not hear it before and it sounded normal now. I am concerned that the pump is intermittant and pooped out (overheated?). Either that or the PCM or relay that controls the pump has gone intermittant. Is it common for the pumps to flake out? What are your theories? I don't think he wants this to happen again.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
While I don't {yet;) }have the luxury of an electric fuel pump,
any chance of the "impact" switch going wonky?

That is the re-settable switch that {is supposed to} will shut down power to the fuel pump in evnt of an accident.

Possible CPS on it's way out? Some will give hints as to their immenint failure...they get hot and will shut down till they cool off enough to operate again.
Was the tach working when it shut down?

How long has he had the truck? Reason being is he not familiar with his "safe zone" of fuel level........

Just my 2 pennies for now.............:D

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Originally posted by geonc
While I don't {yet;) }have the luxury of an electric fuel pump,
any chance of the "impact" switch going wonky?

That is the re-settable switch that {is supposed to} will shut down power to the fuel pump in evnt of an accident.

Possible CPS on it's way out? Some will give hints as to their immenint failure...they get hot and will shut down till they cool off enough to operate again.
Was the tach working when it shut down?

How long has he had the truck? Reason being is he not familiar with his "safe zone" of fuel level........

Just my 2 pennies for now.............:D

Those inertiia switches are pretty reliable, I have only seen one of those go bad.

Almost sounds like it was just run out of fuel. Maybe the fuel gauge isn't accurate.

RenoF250

Reaction score
Well, he just e-mailed me with a new piece of information that I think was critical. Where he ended up stopping and adding fuel was on an incline. He said he put in 4.4 gallons and when he went to fill it it took another 33.6 so shat would be 38 and means the tank was bone dry. With it being on the hill the 4.4 gallons was probably not enough to get to the pickup and the pump was still sucking air.

On a side note, I posted this at the other site and here at the same time and it was answered here first so :moon: JL's house of newbies.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, our electric fuel pumps are very reliable as long as you keep the fuel clean or run a prefilter.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
Believe it or not, our electric fuel pumps are very reliable as long as you keep the fuel clean or run a prefilter.

I haven't seen or heard of many of the electric fuel pumps going bad. They seem pretty darn reliable to me as well.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Originally posted by RenoF250

On a side note, I posted this at the other site and here at the same time and it was answered here first so :moon: JL's house of newbies.

This site is coming along nicely.:cool :cool