fuel pressure

jayel73

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Well, I've been driving west across country from Denver over the last week and just arrived in Vegas for the weekend.
It hasn't been exactly easy going.
Alot of air leaks... dead batteries from cranking. Getting stranded in the middle of nowhere has led to meeting some good people though, so not all bad.
I was out at Chicken Corners in Moab, hadn't seen a sole all day. Broke down, scratched my head and a lovely lady on a bicycle appeared from nowhere... with the best legs I ever saw.
It's been good breaking down alot !!

Anyway, I installed a duralift the other day for priming. On the frame just after the FSV. I left the mechanical pump in line.
So, I tested the pressure at the filter and got a reading of 10 psi with just the mechanical, and 15psi with the duralift. At idle.

I dunno if my gauge is out of calibration, but they seemed like kinda high readings. I guess if my gauge was out by 5psi, might be right.

Is there something else that might contribute to higher pressure?

I think I've cured all the air leaks in the lines now, although I've said that many times over the last few days. Yesterday I got the occasional power surge. Jeez it felt good. Full tanks.

I haven't had a chance to install the Moose yet. Maybe that is all that is needed now. The current pump has 80 thou on it.

Cheers

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I am cruising at 65ish I get small power surges from time to time, what is causing it?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We really need a full write up once you get home. A complete tale of this trek would be most enjoyable to read. BJ didn't tell me what all you managed to accomplish before you left. Is the steering wheel being on the "wrong" side a problem for you? How's all that working out? Does Las Vegas look like it does on TV? LOL Of course! :) Hope you got to go over the new bridge and see the Hoover Dam.

jayel73

Reaction score
Driving on the wrong side of the road... right?
Yeah, I have the occasional mistake when I turn into a side road and there is no traffic for reference. Try and keep the steering wheel in the centre of the road, seems to be no problem.

Vegas seems pretty busy, 'cause the NASCAR is on.

Ain't seen much yet... got a short and my indicators/signals have gone out.
Seen alot of the van though!!

I made up a signature to show what's done... don't seem to show on the threads.

jayel73

Reaction score
Willthethrill...

Search for power surge... or ***** ape. You'll find some info.
Air, timing stuff.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the fuel pumping pressures... You really don't want to be using the electric and the mechanical at the same time. That will cause way to high of the pressure and.... It will rupture the mechanical pump diaphram... then diesel fuel dilutes your engine oil... Not good. A big block chevy lift pump block off plate is around $5.00 US dollars most anywhere. The a short length of diesel rated fuel hose in the 3/8 diameter with two hose clamps and the pump is bypassed.... The maxuim fuel pressure should not be higher than around 7 or 8 lbs.....

jayel73

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm only using the electric for priming, for the moment.
Are those BB chev plates a direct fit?

Still getting a reading of 10psi at idle with the electric pump off.
Maybe my gauge is out.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm only using the electric for priming, for the moment.
Are those BB chev plates a direct fit?

Still getting a reading of 10psi at idle with the electric pump off.
Maybe my gauge is out.

The BBC plate is a direct fit (I took the one off my 454 just to make the engine feel more at home). My gauge reads 4-7 with my Facet Duralift pump.