fuel leak

BrassBandit

Reaction score
Ok so truck started ******* diesel today fml. Only happens when the front tank is selected and is draining down from the top of the tank. Any thoughts? Easy fix or nah? I still got my back tank so worst case I fuel up every day

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your front tank overflowing because it's being pumped full by the rear return? That's a symptom of a stuck tank selector valve.

Or it could just be that the front return hose is cracked or came loose. You can see that from underneath without dropping the tank. If you're going to work on the tanks/senders/lines, I highly recommend pulling the bed. It's only a few bolts, and is SO much easier to get to everything.

BrassBandit

Reaction score
Is your front tank overflowing because it's being pumped full by the rear return? That's a symptom of a stuck tank selector valve.

Or it could just be that the front return hose is cracked or came loose. You can see that from underneath without dropping the tank. If you're going to work on the tanks/senders/lines, I highly recommend pulling the bed. It's only a few bolts, and is SO much easier to get to everything.

Pulling the bed isn't an option I got a fully loaded welding rig on the back, got a guy that's going to let me use his lift. It's not overflowing front tank is half empty, when the back tank is selected no leak, flip the switch to the front immediately leak. Has to be a line or a seal. I'll know more in an hour but this place has some idi geniuses so I just wanted to check here first

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not a bad job especially with a lift. Drop the front tank and find the leak, probably the tank to sending unit seal wiped out or a broken quick disconnect

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front tank is not bad to work on still mounted, it is the back one that you either drop tank or pull the box.

BrassBandit

Reaction score
It's the line that goes from the front tank to the selector valve, split wide open. Must have froze, -34c here this morning. anyone got a part number

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You won’t be able to get a replacement at a parts store. Take your vin to a dealership and you may be able to get it there. Otherwise you can cut out the bad hose and run 3/8 fuel hose in its place.

BrassBandit

Reaction score
Ok so here's where I'm at. the po put in and after market something to the back of this truck and didn't put a fuse inline, wire shorted and turning into a toaster element. it ran between my two line coming into the selector valve on the aft of the truck.

I'm guessing the other line is partially melted as well. can I run on just my back tank without problems? I was thinking of putting a fass fuel system in anyway. I can't find those lines at ford, napa, or bumper to bumper so I'll guessing they don't exist in Canada.

BrassBandit

Reaction score
You won’t be able to get a replacement at a parts store. Take your vin to a dealership and you may be able to get it there. Otherwise you can cut out the bad hose and run 3/8 fuel hose in its place.

Just saw this. it looks like that line is plastic how the heck do I splice it?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The nylon lines are 5/16 inside diameter with a 3/8" outside diameter. If you use 3/8 inside diameter fuel hose you can slip it over the nylon and use a light spring clamp to seal it. If you use a gear clamp you can overtighten it and run into issues if youre not careful.

BrassBandit

Reaction score
This forum is the f*****g best. Thanks for all the help and the great threads to read. special thanks to you thewespaul.

If I ever make it that far south I'll buy you a bottle and we can shoot the breeze brother

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726