Fuel leak drivers side

Suddenly

Reaction score
first post, been browsing since I got my truck. Already fixed the fuel heater leaking thanks to the forums here. Please forgive me if the format is terrible and hopefully the pictures work. Here’s the truck
You must be registered for see images attach

I have had fuel leaking since I bought my truck and finally found time to try and figure out from where.got under the truck and found where it was dripping from and chased it back to the lines coming to and from the tanks. After giving them a wiggle to get a better look the truck now has a steady drip while running.
Tried a quick search in the usual places but was just getting results for the injector return lines.
This is just under the drivers side door

Second picture it looks like a metal line with plastic sleeved over it. Seemed like it was this line that was leaking, appeared to run up towards the return system, solid line underneath goes to the passenger side of the engine

Does anyone still sell these lines? Which is most likely to be the culprit? Is the sleeved line the return?
Thanks in advanced. Dan

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
First, I want to say that I love your truck. Next, I'd have to say that you should try to find out exactly where the return line is leaking. If it's in the rubber part, you can cut it off of the steel line and just put some more 5/16" fuel line in it's place. It probably won't be the cleanest thing that you've done lately, but it gets expensive to run fuel out onto the ground.

Suddenly

Reaction score
First, I want to say that I love your truck. Next, I'd have to say that you should try to find out exactly where the return line is leaking. If it's in the rubber part, you can cut it off of the steel line and just put some more 5/16" fuel line in it's place. It probably won't be the cleanest thing that you've done lately, but it gets expensive to run fuel out onto the ground.
Thanks for the info, is there supposed to be a clamp or something where the line appears to be sleeved with plastic?

after feeling around the metal line feels pitted and looks rusted, will try and find the exact leak point.

To clarify your suggestion, you recommend cutting out the metal section that is bad and putting rubber lines on with clamps? Or another method?

thanks

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was only talking about cutting the rubber part. If it is from a rust hole in the steel part, I guess you could cut that out too and replace that with rubber. I don't think that any of the whole return line is actually sleeved. Rubber comes off of the engine and then (it's been a long time so I don't relly remember) slides over the plastic part. There is supposed to be a clamp over the rubber line. It the same style as the ones used on the return lines on the injectors only larger for the 5/16" line.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC there was one spot where plastic(not rubber) line was just like heat-formed over steel line, right there. I guess the seal was just from shrink-fitting of the plastic?

Either way, just cut the bad spot and replace with rubber hose. Problem solved.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Either way, just cut the bad spot and replace with rubber hose. Problem solved.
Right. I forgot to mention that there's next to nothing for pressure in this line so it shouldn't leak as long as the lines are in good condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online