Fuel leak at filter

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started the truck this afternoon to put some charge in the batteries and I noticed that the fuel leak I thought I had fixed by tightening the filter is actually still there. Looks like it is coming from somewhere on the bottom cap. Is there a common likely candidate?

Unrelated, are exhaust manifolds available? Mine are pretty rusty but I don't see any holes.

Thanks!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You may need a new o-ring for the bowl. I'm not sure where to get it.
Mine leaked, so I tightened it with a hammer and screwdriver.
Make sure the drain is nice and tight.

kennyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I am pretty sure it's coming from the bottom of the filter. I think it may be leaking around the drain. Need to get it in the garage where i have some light and heat before I will know for sure. Thanks for the PN. I looked for quite a while last night and part numbers seem to be hard to come by.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Mine was leaking out of the bottom, replaced to a different style filter altogether, don't have the model number because I'm out of town working, but I can get it to you asap.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey that would be great. No super rush. Truck is currently not on the road pending a lot of body and drivetrain work. Just trying to attack the little things first as I have time. This is probably why I'm having a hard time starting it. I also noticed that there is at least 2 injector lines weeping a bit. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help guys.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep filter super clean...if it leaks from top...you'll see...

If from Bottom you'll see...

I had this issue with that stupid cap on the bottom....changed to the one piece filter...

NO MORE PROBLEM..

BTW...over tightening a filter, be it oil, fuel etc can cause it to leak...you distort the gasket (O rings are even worse they ROLL) and cannot see this occur causing it to leak worse. Sometimes just backing it off and re-tightening it just enough is all it takes...

JM2CW

A

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK this is *****....

Today..on way to town...notice fuel consumption...I NOTICE IT...and notice a bit of smoke...***

DONT want to stop at all not a bit..keep on till town cause I'm in no cell service no mans land if I do...

Get to town..open hood...Fuel...POURING OUT of top of filter...

Shut of ign...tighten filter...

ALL GOOD

pissed away 1/2 a tank of fuel driving to town...or damn near anyway...

NOW I'm going to hunt down a band clamp that fits the filter..and I can lightly tighten on it and then tie a safety wire too to prevent that from ever happening again!

Safety wire a filter...NOW that's a new one to me!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch. Makes my slow drip look silly. You guys mention sensor ports. I assume you need the sensor? And I will go out on a limb and say its a water in fuel sensor? That's what the drain is for right?

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
Last week my brass drain screw snapped in half. I have no idea why. I ended up taking it out and using a 1/4" bolt and injector return line oring to seal it for now. Anybody know if you can buy just the brass part with the thumb screw? Talk about a smokey scare. Full pouring onto a hot exhaust manifold and running VERY poorly (obvious lack of fuel) brought apocalyptic engine thoughts to my head.