Fuel issue has me stumped/stranded

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I am stumped and need some help. The short version is that I started having a air intrusion like symptoms a a couple of days ago and now my van won't start. Like I drove it to pick up my kids up at school. Parked it, walked in got the kids and then was stranded in the parking lot.

So the long version with all the details to help diagnose the issue:
1. Vehicle info...'88 E250 7.3 NA. In the last month I did the following to the fuel system. E-pump, IP/Injectors/return lines, sender and fixed pick-ups. This was completed over the course of about a month and was completed a month ago. After the upgrades/maintenance the van ran great and started better than it ever had. Like fired on the second turn over even when the temp dropped in the 40's. Prior to this maintenance the van required some cranking prior to starting.

2. The issue history. About 4-5 days ago the van started to show some air intrusion symptoms (even though I had the e-pump). It would fire immediately, run for 20 seconds and then die. Then it would take a bit of time letting the pump run and cranking for it to start again. The first couple of days it was just the first start in the morning. Then it was only if there was 7-8 hours in between. Then today it did it with 3 hours in between and then 20 minutes and won't fire up or even try and catch.

3. So I thought maybe fixing the pick-ups sucked up some junks and messed up my selector valve. Took the lines off and verified that all was clear and working properly. I checked the schrader valve on the fuel filter and verified that there was plenty of flow up to the filter head.

So what do you think?

The only other thing that I can think of that isn't new is my fuel filter. I purchased a new one and will be replacing it tomorrow. I purchased the vehicle last Oct and it was on it when I got it. Is it possible that the filter would cause these symptoms? If not, what are my other possibilities?

The van is currently sitting in the school parking lot and is my only current mode of transportation.

Thanks

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filter could absolutely cause those symptoms. Most people recommend a filter change at 5K-10K, I change them when they plug up, but I'm very mechanically inclined, and have been changing filters on diesels since I was a kid.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I never go anywhere without a spare filter sitting in the floorboard or behind the seat. I consider it bad business to go anywhere without a spare filter in a diesel.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It was the filter. Up and running again. I am also making a little kit to carry with stuff in it......extra fluid, filters etc. Just in case.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Extra everything is found behind my crewcab rear seat. Tools are sometimes found under it or behind it too.:sly But I'm known for going to extremes too...:angel: Glad you found out why. But I'm wondering why the filter lite on the dash didn't come on telling you this was happening.:dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online