Fuel is accumulating on the Valley Pan

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a puddle of diesel fuel that builds up on the valley pan.
(then ends up dripping off the starter)

I am hoping to find where the leak might be coming from.
(Puddle only after the engine has been running, and there are no signs of air intrusion)

There is some grime and grease built up on the back of the IP, and on the injector line connections making things difficult to see.

Would brake cleaner be a bad idea/dangerous to use to clean the back of the IP and the area sound the fuel lines?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 F250 had a leak at the IP where the Hard line from the Filter
screws onto the pump. There is a fitting with an "O" Ring that screws
into the pump, and the Hard line attaches to it. Had a small leak there
that made it wet in the pan. You can either change the "O" Ring, or go
to the link I posted below.

I changed the Hard line to a Push Lock rubber hose. You will have to
change the fittings at IP and filter ends. Easy fix.

https://russrepair.com/fuel-system-c...e-delete-kits/

You could blow off the wet area with Carb Cleaner or Brake Cleaner w/o any problems. Just let it evaporate it is flamable.

Goat

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it is not the return lines.. so it may be the filter connection..

To get a better view.. Is spraying brake cleaner on the line connections to the the pump (to clean off grime) a bad idea?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I know it is not the return lines.. so it may be the filter connection..

To get a better view.. Is spraying brake cleaner on the line connections to the the pump (to clean off grime) a bad idea?
Probably not, I would.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spray away.
It won't hurt anything. Several companies make a spray on leak powder that can help find difficult leaks, It is a white chalky spray. Clean everything up blow this suspect area dry and spray the leak powder on. Watch the powder to see where it gets wet first. I have a can made by Kent but there are other brands.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Brake clean is not going to hurt anything. Use the straw, pull the air cleaner and try to avoid electrical and hoses as much as possible. Might age them a little if you hit them. Won’t kill them but may make the get brittle a little sooner. Also keep it off the valve covers it will soften up the paint. Maybe put a rag towards the back of the valley pan to catch/absorb the brake clean but much will simply evaporate especially if the engine is hot.

Last edited:

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're missing any of the injector line clamps the vibrations can cause leaks over time.

Bio-Bradley

Reaction score
I two thoughts here...
1. I had fuel on the valley pan as well and it was coming from my ip. I ended up replacing the ip for another reason, but now I have no fuel leaking onto the valley pan. Are you experiencing any problems that a failing ip might present?
2. I recommend Finish Line disc brake cleaner. It's meant for mountain bikes. It's acetone free and much gentler on parts, components & paint. Auto brake cleaner does remove paint so be mindful about where you spray/apply it if you go with auto brake cleaner.

Good luck!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this stuff. My local Carquest and Advance Auto stock it.

Says safe for cured paint too. I've used it on metal shelving and it didn't harm the paint.

Finn

Reaction score
A weep hole was added to the injection pup towards the end of the IDI engine production run. The purpose of the weep hole was to prevent the crankcase from filling up with diesel fuel in the event the pump shaft seal fails.

With the weep hole, the leaked fuel runs into the valley pan. Not ideal, but better than overfilling the oil pan, with all the attending consequences that scenario brings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online