Fuel gauges/shower head filter?

Diesel8873ne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
88 f250 7.3 zf5

Hi again so when I first posted on this forum I mentioned my fuel gauge issue . Well ive had the truck a few weeks maybe a month and ive got everything else up to par next is fuel gauges.

So both tanks work and the switch works but one tank sais full and one sais empty at all times. Wondering where to start or if anyone has experienced this and can point me in the right direction.

On another note yesterday I'm driving around using the rear tank stopped at a light and she started dying on me I switched tanks and it cleared up after a few minutes. I had drove 188 miles, question is with that being said do we think I have the shower head filter issue ?

Thanks for any insight

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These (fsv) will ***** and then clear up sometimes...
Like switch tank, but not returns, or poss gauges.
Search fsv issues.
Old bull has a tech 101 for the rebuild.
Some have filters in front of the valve.
There is some issue as to wether (sp) or not this restricts the flow to the fuel dash light or not.
Search the dash light.
Low pressure air backwards from the eng. Bay (take off tank cap FIRST) and blow the chunks back into the tank (hopefully).

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just another thought (do what clb said first) is go check the connections at the sending units, the one pegged full is likely an open circuit, and the one pegged empty may have a short (0 ohms) the needle is moved by a change in resistance on the sending units when the arm swings up or down. Less fuel will have less resistance, more fuel will have more resistance

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get to the sending unit on the front tank, unplug it. It should have a darkblue/yellow wire in the plug. Get a scrap piece of wire, bolt one end to a good ground. Turn the key to run (no need to start the engine) and while the switch is on the front tank, take your scrap ground wire and touch the darkblue yellow wire. Each time you touch it the fuel gauge needle should swing full scale empty or full (forgot which way it goes). Take the ground wire off, the needle will swing full scale the other way. If it passes this test, your wiring and the switch inside the fuel valve are good, there is something wrong with the sending unit.

You can do the same to the rear tank if you can get to it. It has a yellow/lightblue wire on it. Ground this wire with the switch to the rear tank, and then unground the wire, if the fuel gauge swings back and forth everything is good and there is something wrong with the sending unit.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Diesel8873ne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running these now in both tanks.https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-1997-Ford-F250-F350-Diesel-Pickup-Sending-unit-for-the-Side-tank-ONLY/372136759640?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=173f37775b394be582ec07f498dfb889&pid=100675&rk=6&rkt=15&mehot=ag&sd=163487616211&itm=372136759640&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:ea45dc8d-1b19-11e9-827f-74dbd180dcf9|parentrq:60ddc41d1680a86069e68eceffed593e|iid:1
They seemed well made and are working great. I have only had them in a couple months.
i also replaced the showerhead with factory motorcraft ones I bought on ebay as well.
Its nice to have a guage and full use of both tanks again, though it does take some getting used to

Okay very interesting with that sending unit was it plug and play? Any issues with them at all ? If they just drop in ill buy 2 tomorrow

My truck is 88 of that matters

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Okay very interesting with that sending unit was it plug and play? Any issues with them at all ? If they just drop in ill buy 2 tomorrow

My truck is 88 of that matters

Click on T-Rex EBay "Visit store" & you can find your yr ('88) of sending units for rear & front tanks. I went to their website & ordered direct over phone for my '90 F350 for front & rear tanks & saved about $10 ea by doing it direct instead of thru EBay.

& yes they're plug & play & seem to be good. Haven't done my front tank yet, but rear works great!

Soooo nice having a functioning guage again!!!

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, one was plug and play, the other had a different connector plug, but the wire colors were the same so it was a quick crimp and seal and it dropped in.
I found both my tanks were rusty so I replaced them at the same time. Cheapest tanks I found were rock auto.

gfemling

Reaction score
Concerning the tank reading empty at all times, if gauge checks out electrically as described above by grounding the appropriate lead, a failure mode I had on my 87 was the sender float developed a small crack and got “water logged”. The float was a thin brass unit that had several small cracks; suspect it had been slightly filled with fuel for a while then sudddnly became a submarine. To fix required removal of tank.

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok just a word on fuel tanks, cheep is not always cheep. pay a little more for a spectra premium because it is as close to the original and made with US steel in Canada. The cheep ones are painted or plated, I bought one and sent it back, it mite be good for gas but diesel works on the coatings. It takes time to remove and replace a tank so do it one time and be though with it.

Diesel8873ne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay sorry it's been a while been real busy at work with the weather staying with us and all.

So today I realized that on the front tank wich is the tank that typically reads full at all times, that when I stop fast the gauge drops down then returns to full every time.

The harder and faster I stop the more the gauge drops thoughts ?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay sorry it's been a while been real busy at work with the weather staying with us and all.

So today I realized that on the front tank wich is the tank that typically reads full at all times, that when I stop fast the gauge drops down then returns to full every time.

The harder and faster I stop the more the gauge drops thoughts ?

Do the tests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online