Fuel fired starting system instead of glowplugs

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out some of the engines on the mid to late 90's new holland tractors. I can't recall right now if they are the cummins engines or the iveco engine but they have such a system on them. It consist of a small GP and a "injector" that drips fuel on that GP which ignites and the engine then sucks fire into the cylinders through the valves. Will this work on an IDI don't know.

This type setup has a weak point though. If the "injector" starts leaking it can flood the engine out and cause a no start or stalling engine issue. We frequently see this problem on the tractors so equiped that come into the shop.

I'm not saying its not possible but would take some work and you would still have 1 GP so its not a total GP free system.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where's your sense of adventure Justin. I'll bet we got a tractor with this setup setting in the shop now if you'd like pics to help ya figure it out.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
here something to think about, my step dad has an old massey fergerson 3 cyl diesel tractor(i thinks its 3cyl) and it doesnt have glow plugs and it fires off on the second-third turn of the motor even at about 30 degrees, so how does that work?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I'm just thinking about how to get around this, because if the volume difference in the cylinder without the glowplug is enough to justify doing something like this, I'm all for it.

I mean, after the old girl fires, you don't need the plugs anyway. Eliminate one more thing on the list of IDI fixes. Have the ability to go subfreezing temps knowing that it'll reliably start.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I was going to go out and get a picture of mine... But I remembered it is 45 minutes away right now;p Oh well.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Hooking up two to four of those things on a spacer at the inlet for the intake manifold (something like the 12/3/6/9 o'clock positions). Hmmm. Or put eight of those jokers injector style at the port in the intake manifold. If that doesn't start the motor, it deserves not to run.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a good question for Mel, but wouldn't this have much the same effect as ether in that you are trying to compress a fire that is trying to expand.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I would think that since it's already fire, it shouldn't hurt anything since the fire itself would react better inside the precup than ether. I don't know if I am saying it proper, but ether explodes, and that's what causes the damage. Also, I don't think the fire reaches the cylinder, but rather the intense heat. And in that case, it won't hurt anything.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would do a swell job of heating up the chamber, but the lack of oxygen is going to make it tough to start. That's why I'm thinking several electric grids would do a better job. You want to heat the air, not necessarily the metal around it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know of a 1930's era Caterpilar tractor that used gasoline to get the pistons warmed up and moving before it was switched over to diesel to run.
got pics somewhere.......

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I want to try the 99.5 and up PSD intake heater but I am not having much luck finding em. I dont think I want to know what the dealer wants for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online