FUEL FILTER!

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i changed the lift pump on a 97 powerstroke today i also changed the fuel filter. this is the nastiest filter i have ever seen not only is it black the black is a thick goo:puke: i have never seen this on any fuel filter has anyone elce experienced this:dunno thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand fuel filter did you install?? If its a cheapo with the cap attached be sure to keep the old cap so when you go back to Motorcraft you will have a cap.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a napa gold, and the owner got it not me but we have the old cap this filter looks like it might be the one it came with it ran like a whole new truck after the filter and the pump

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not had any experince with the 7.3 Napa stuff but run far far away from anything Napa and 6.0 related. I would think the 7.3 stuff is the same way but I don't know.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not had any experince with the 7.3 Napa stuff but run far far away from anything Napa and 6.0 related. I would think the 7.3 stuff is the same way but I don't know.

I have always had good luck with napa, but anything was better than that filter i took outLOL

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
so i changed the lift pump on a 97 powerstroke today i also changed the fuel filter. this is the nastiest filter i have ever seen not only is it black the black is a thick goo:puke: i have never seen this on any fuel filter has anyone elce experienced this:dunno thanks

Diesel fuel filters look like that :D Black..
.........the thick goo---when was the last time it was changed?

What IS MORE important would be the actual color of the fuel in the bowl after the filter was removed! Amber=good....Black = bad inj o rings!
Damaged inj o rings allow engine oil to mix with the fuel.

get a white rag/wiper and put it under the regulator- driver side of fuel bowl.
Remove the 2 bolts [10 mm wrench] and "ease" back the regulator....there is a small O ring-DO NOT loose it!---reason for the white rag :D

You will see a small micro-mesh screen, roughly dime size----look for any black rubber turds, crud chunks....spray down with some brakekleen and re-install.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel fuel filters look like that :D Black..
.........the thick goo---when was the last time it was changed?

What IS MORE important would be the actual color of the fuel in the bowl after the filter was removed! Amber=good....Black = bad inj o rings!
Damaged inj o rings allow engine oil to mix with the fuel.

get a white rag/wiper and put it under the regulator- driver side of fuel bowl.
Remove the 2 bolts [10 mm wrench] and "ease" back the regulator....there is a small O ring-DO NOT loose it!---reason for the white rag :D

You will see a small micro-mesh screen, roughly dime size----look for any black rubber turds, crud chunks....spray down with some brakekleen and re-install.

good info thanks!
i have no idea when it was changed last i would imagine never the fuel in the bowl looked like dark regular diesel color when i soaked a rag in it it was clean diesels;Sweet
iam thinking it may have just never been changed or very few times or maby one of the rubber hoses is falling apart:dunno

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"get a white rag/wiper and put it under the regulator- driver side of fuel bowl.
Remove the 2 bolts [10 mm wrench] and "ease" back the regulator....there is a small O ring-DO NOT loose it!---reason for the white rag

You will see a small micro-mesh screen, roughly dime size----look for any black rubber turds, crud chunks....spray down with some brakekleen and re-install."

You got pictures of this? Im not sure what you are talking about...

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Here ya go :D

Keep in mind the different bolt lengths!

And some of the '95 models also have another filter on the fpr. there is a black cap at the bottom of it and if you unscrew it there is a screen there you need to clean as well.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you unscrew the part that has the big box head on it(the part that the red text is over)?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
so you unscrew the part that has the big box head on it(the part that the red text is over)?

No, that's where the spring and spool are to adjust the fuel pressure as in "the fuel pressure mod" where you insert a bb to raise it.

Look an inch to the right of the red type and you'll see a 10mm bolt and another one diagonally down to the right. Those two bolts remove the FPR from the fuel bowl. Where they join is where that mesh screen is that must be kept clean. And remember these two bolts are different lengths and when the o-ring falls under the fuel bowl you're screwed.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
It's a sign of maturity. Mine has grown into a 90* too. LOL

Sadly, at Richards age...it points down :rotflmao ;p ;Poke :D

Another good thing to do while you are into the fuel system is to up the fuel pressure, using the 3/16" BB mod...
Here is the best example from another member, :thanks: OLDBULL8 ;Sweet

Explaination of how to put the 3/16" BB in the fuel regulator little better....

Get a regular BB, wait till your engine cools some and take the black cover---The POWERSTROKE cowl with the door flap---if you still have it!.... off the top of your motor. This requires a 1/2 in deep socket and ratchet. There are 3 nuts on the cover. Next look at your fuel filter bowl and just to the right at the front will be a brass 19 mm plug on the fuel regulator. You will want to place a rag below this plug in case you drop anything. Next, remove the plug and place it on the top of your fuel filter housing using a 19 mm socket or wrench. You will now see a little spring that is exposed. Take a pair of small needle nose pliers and grasp the spring and pull it out of the regulator. Place it by your plug noting the way it came out. You will want to go back in with the same end that came out of the regulator side. Next, take a pencil tip magnet and be sure everything is clean on the magnet (we don't want metal shavings in there)....place the tip of the magnet in the hole and it will pull out the little tri-angular plunger that regulates the fuel pressure. Take the plunger off your magnet and look at the end of it. The end that has the hole is where you want to place the ball bearing. Take your ball bearing and drop it in the hole. When I did it the ball just fell in the hole. Take a little punch and make sure that it seats in the counter bore of the plunger. Not with a hammer, just pushing on it by hand will suffice. Next, make sure everything is clean and place the spring back in the plunger the way it came out. Place the plunger back into the regulator. The tri-angular shape will "FIT" into it's respected groove. DO NOT FORCE IT. Turn the plunger until it slides right in. Next, take the 19 mm plug and coat the o-ring with some oil or light grease so you will not damage the o-ring. Next, note the nipple on the end of the plug where the spring is centered. Be sure to get that nipple into the hole on the end of the spring or you will bend the spring and you have trouble. Push the plug toward the threads in the housing as it will be harder to push now, and screw your plug back into the regulator. DO NOT CROSS THREAD THE PLUG. Next tighten the plug back down snug. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin