Fuel Filter light - what does is measure?

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by derjackistweg, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Macrobb

Macrobb Full Access Member

Hang on, though.... The wire marked "ignition switch" should simply be key-switched power. While not great, I'd bet you could use that one and have it work, if the pump doesn't draw too much.

Remember, the controller grounds the white wire to trigger the glow plugs...

2. laserjock

laserjock Rebuilding! Supporting Member

While I agree it would probably work. I have to say I personally would consider it a hack. The problem is if something happens to that circuit, you loose a lot of things. Really all can be avoided with a $3 Bosch style relay and a fuse in the power line for good measure. My 2 cents.

3. madpogue

madpogue Full Access Member

You would use that key-switched power as the trigger to a RELAY for the pump, which is how you should do it no matter what you use.

4. derjackistweg

derjackistweg Full Access Member

Update:
    I wanted to get a complete peace of plywood from the hardware store. As I knew of the Fuel filter light, I was extremely light on the gas pedal. When I parked the truck Fuel Filter light stayed on - while driving it was always going off after some time light on the throttle. :(
    So after coming back I started the truck, it strated right up :Thumbs Up
    I vent out of the truck to let air out of the Fuel Filter shader valve. Too late:frustrate engine died :frustrate
    Electric Pump jumped to pump air out of the filter and lines.
    So air out of the lines. Starting right up :Thumbs Up
    Died in seconds :frustrate

As I carry a buch of stuff for every kind of repair in my truck - I did what I wanted to do since weeks (really :confused:?). Install a relais in the electrical installation of the electric Pump. :rtfm
    [​IMG]
    You see I am a Pro!:smash:

I also changed the pre fuel filter. It is - of course also - new, shy of less than 2000 miles. Fuel out of that filter looked great.

I drove just 2-3 miles but on the last couple of the it came always on when on the throttle. So I think it is fixed. I curious because I ran the other way 1000 mile w/o a problem. Let´s see :peelout

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 1:49 PM
  5. derjackistweg

derjackistweg Full Access Member

PS: Yes it looks like a disaster, though ist not soo bad. I will move both batteries to the frame and with that new wiring anyway.

6. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don’t do this often but...

....Told you that you needed a relay for that pump:rolleyes: