Fuel filter light comes up what could be the cause?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
done that quite a while ago already, they are like new now!
and I'm also using a biocide already. therefore, I just don't understand where this blocade of my filter comes from, I'm on the shock treatment of this biocide. it's with the fresh diesel only two months in my tank.

Btw, the Injection pump full ATF, serves which purpose?

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Algae will stick itself into every nook and crannie it can find. Manual cleaning can only go so far for removal, unless the entire system is replaced. And when I say entire system, I mean the entire system. That's why the biocide is used, because it will reach those hidden areas and kill it. Then the cleaner is used to remove what's been killed.

atf in the fuel filter is to clean the gunk out of the injection pump. It's often times used when guys have sticking metering valves. There are other things that can be used to clean it up too, that would likely do a better job, but atf is common and cheap.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Booyah. The ATF you leave in there for a while to react I guess??

This is strange, two weeks ago I installed a new filter, and just when I was experimenting with how my engine runs now, I discovered it leaks, see video in post:
So today I decided to change again the filter to get rid of eventual contaminants (residue of the algae) and the leak.
After I took the old filter off I checked the gasket in order to see if there was any reason to leak. Non found!
I cleaned the underside of the filter head, no damage there either.
So I install the last new filter correct, some fresh engine oil on the gasket, and screw it on, not too tight, not too loose. run the engine, and voilá, this one leaks also!? What could be the reason for that, anyone knows?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most say overnight. it won't hurt anything if you leave it in there longer.

Where exactly is your leak coming from? Bottom bowl to filter seal? Try tightening it more, or get a 1 piece filter with a drain. A lot of guys have issues with those leaking iirc.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember reading that someone had a crack in the filter head that was causing a leak. They spent a lot of time trying to diagnose before finally finding it.

James

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember reading that someone had a crack in the filter head that was causing a leak. They spent a lot of time trying to diagnose before finally finding it.

James
I had a cracked filter head on my 6.9, one of the first things I replaced.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing me in that direction!
Though I still find it odd that such a thing just occurs like that????
I'll have a look at it, Thanks.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I had a good look at this annoying problem, after all it turned out to be something very simple, as it almost always does, isn't it?

First I had the engine to warm up, so it starts better when some air in the fuel system, and then I took the filter head off, and put it in the vice to get the filter tightened up (In situ it's difficult to get a grip on it).
Then I reinstalled it and restarted the engine again, what do you think?
It still leaked! some brake cleaner further, I noticed that it still came from the top somewhere, and then I tried the bolt which I installed with locktite, and I replaced it with the original brass anti retour thingie, but since that is useless now, I had capped it with a bit of fuelhose and a short bit of metal rod in it. That did the job! no more leaks!

The engine starts now (warm at least) fairly easy, and I had a test ride.
which went quite well,though in the end I saw that the restricted filter came back on, at first at 2500 Rpm, and a bit later already at 1500 Rpm, and one time even when I pulled up from a crossing (engine revving long time between 2000 and 3000 Rpm) and then I had to stop for a oncoming car (we have roads here that are as wide as my dually truck), and the engine died on me, and after 5 minutes not running I could restart it.
That is the issue which I must resolute absolute!

Other than that, I start to feel myself carefully positive :cool:

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the filter restriction light to come up time and time again, when I was cleaning the tanks, the fuel pick-up disintegrated on me, and I replaced that with a bit of fuel hose with a "V" cut out, and ending almost at the bottom of the tank.

A thing of which I thought, could it be that at higher rev's the fuel hose has not enough capacity? I noticed that you still can buy these pick-up's new.
could that solve my problem?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88