Fuel Filter light front tank only

catodd

Reaction score
My fuel filter light just started coming on whenever it's on the front tank and will go out when i switch to the back tank. When i'm running down the highway at 60 - 70 mph and I ignore the light It will start to lose power/ feel like I am running out of fuel, but will run fine when I switch to the back tank. I've replaced the fuel filter and still have same problem. Front and back tank are full of fuel.

Thanks,

Charlie

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee that you have a blockage in your fuel line from the front tank to the switch. Reason being, I had the same issue. I cleaned all the old pieces of showerhead out of my tank and unplugged the line and it's been fine ever since.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't but the symptoms were the same- fuel starvation. Technically I guess I could put the filter light on mine, since I have the 7.3L header with the vacuum sensor on it.

catodd

Reaction score
I can almost guarantee that you have a blockage in your fuel line from the front tank to the switch. Reason being, I had the same issue. I cleaned all the old pieces of showerhead out of my tank and unplugged the line and it's been fine ever since.

Yeah, i think both of my showerheads have fallen off...can only run both tanks to 1/4. So i need to check for blockage from the sending unit in the tank to the fuel tank switch? Thanks for the advise.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i need to check for blockage from the sending unit in the tank to the fuel tank switch? Thanks for the advise.

That's what I would do, and put new sumps in the tank to be able to use all of your fuel while you're at it. New fuel lines and sumps made a world of difference for how my truck runs.

catodd

Reaction score

Blew air back to the tank from the tank selector switch, had the fuel cap off and blew fuel on the ground....took for a test drive and no more fuel filter light.

I plan on pulling the bed to gain access to the fuel senders and put on new shower caps.....will i still need to drop the tanks to remove the old shower caps?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get the sending unit out of a saddle tank without removing the bed, however, if you believe that you've got showerhead stuff in both tanks I would probable pull the bed so that you have good access to removing the bits and pieces. Just an FYI: I like using a spare Facet electric pump with the clear bowl on it to suck up small debris in a fuel tank. You can see the crud accumulate in the filter bowl, using it kind of like a vacuum.

Good luck

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its as posted. The front tank can stay inplace and the suction-sender can be removed easily. As for cleaning out the crap in there.. Nope. Just use some kind of filter screen in the new suction line you add to the broken off shower head line. The rear tank requires plenty of work to drop. First the fuel supply and return lines needs to be cut loose from the rear frame cross member so you have enough rom to drop tank and reach in to release the lines and electrical. The spare tire and brackets have to be removed before the tank can drop too. Big job too.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulling the bed makes it pretty easy to clean out the tanks. I used a coat hanger to pull all of the crap under the sending unit hole, then reached in with a nitrile glove on and pulled it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance