fuel filter issues need help

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so heres the deal iv got a 94 7.3idit nev fuel filter last month today the fuel filter light came on an went off i figured no big deal. then i noticed under heavier acceleration itd come on soon as i let off the pedal the light would turn off. any idea what would cause this i mean could the filte be bad this fast or is it sum thing more sinister any help is greatly appericeated.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
What brand of fuel filter did you get? I had some issues with the cheap oreilly and even some wix filters on my 94 turbo. Caused the light to come on for no reason. Intermittent hard starts. etc.

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used the standard ih filter from an ih dealer. and the lift pump is what i was worried about are the difficult to change an i no airtx is junk what woutl be the best one to get. and secondly what is the best filter to get iv had good luck with kn filters do they make one for the idi

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
As for lift pump, a lot of people have said Carter, or there are some others on rockauto that seem to be pretty good besides Airtex. For the K&N, most on here would probably tell you to stay away because the filtration is not as good as the paper ones.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I stick with the stock mechanical $35 lift pump. Quite reliable and they don't fail suddenly like the electric ones tend to do.

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info fellas i am going to do a filter chang and if that dosent solve the issues on to th
e lift pump

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iv been reading about draining water out of the fuel filter housing how do i do this i dont see a valve or lever as described an i blind or does it drain out as it collects

Revelstoke

Reaction score
The first troubleshoot:
Have you ran the tank empty?
Have you put an additive or biodiesel in?

If you have not done this before, and made any kind of change, it can flush all the garbage and buildup out of the tank and foul the filter. Filter Barn is great, and go with the quality filter. Little investment and the simplest, most straightforward fix. Moving on to the more complicated and expensive fixes later.

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i never run her under a quarter cut the filter open and holy hell it lookd like tar changed it all is normal now thanks to all who helpd.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i never run her under a quarter cut the filter open and holy hell it lookd like tar changed it all is normal now thanks to all who helpd.

If it was that clogged in one month, you might want to carry an extra filter in the truck as there will likely be more junk in the system. Also, you might want to put a little biocide in the fuel to kill any residual aglae.

Heath

gandalf

Reaction score

Did it look like the filter below? If it did, you've got an algae problem. That stuff is thick and sticky, just like gorilla snot. If you find some way to clean it out, some cleaning agent which will cut that stuff, let us all know.

Attachments

• DSCF7699.JPG
    DSCF7699.JPG
    860.5 KB · Views: 5

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats darn close we used to put regular atf in the fuel in the humvees to clean an lube the system guna startdoing that in my truck. also what is biocide an where can i get it an what causes algae

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats darn close we used to put regular atf in the fuel in the humvees to clean an lube the system guna startdoing that in my truck. also what is biocide an where can i get it an what causes algae

Racor and others make biocide to treat diesel fuel. Lots of places to get it online, and locally I'm sure. The algae eat the wax and other goodies desolved in the diesel.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online