Fuel filter drain valve leak

GEEZER

Reaction score
I replaced my fuel filter in my 1990 box van(ex-uhaul) and the water separator drain valve was hard to turn. I took it apart and the valve turns but it's leaking about a drop every 10 seconds when running. Is there an "O" ring in there that is suppose to keep it from leaking? I didn't see one but I may have destroyed it when taking it a part. Is that a special ring or can I find them at NAPA or hardware store if needed? Will that leak bleed off the pressure in my fuel line? I am having a hard time starting it after it sits for a couple of days and I get air out of the Shrader bleeder valve after the engine runs briefly when trying to start and I have to bleed the air out of it And use ether to get it started. Thanks for any help. Did anybody guess I'm a newbie:D ?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
You posted in 7.3L Powerstrokes but say you have a 1990 box van. The first generation Powerstrokes take two 202 size orings to fix a fuel drain leak. Not sure what your 1990's fuel filter looks like.

GEEZER

Reaction score
I will take it off again and try to post a picture. The drain valve is a round brass knob that don't turn very far. I will see if I can find some 202 "O" rings. Thanks

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
not shure if ya can replace the o ring seperate, I know the valve assembly is sold as a unit from ih and maybe ford.
best bet though is to use a wix/ napa filter # 3417, it eliminates the bottom housing on the filter.
Nick