Fuel delivery issue

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guarantee you, the idi van did not come with a in tank pump.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

You may be right. I will modify my statement; it has never had a mechanical pump while I have had it. We currently have six operational vehicles. My wife's 460, 73 Mach 1 Mustang is the only mechanical pump left.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guarantee you, the idi van did not come with a in tank pump.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Jasper is right. When I wrote up my gasser-sender fuel pickup conversion article for the IDI Van, I showed how the gasser sender had a platform for holding an in-tank pump, but all the IDI van senders never had that platform. For the conversion, you just ignore the platform, extend the pickup with a fuel hose, and then it's basically the same as the diesel, with some slight electrical resistance differences (for the gauges) which are detailed in the article

You must be registered for see images attach

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is an interesting article, but you quite too soon. The bi-metallic gauges have trimmers to set the E and F points. It takes a few iterations because they effect each other.

But you first need to adjust the float so that it is almost at the bottom when empty. You can also set the float to be almost at the top when full, but that usually requires altering the length of the float rod.

Then remove the gauge but provide a way to keep it electrically connected. The two trimmers on the back side are accessible with a number one Philips. Then swing the float full to empty and back. Move the trimmers a very small amount. After a few swings you will get a feel for how to coordinate the two. If you want to be picky, when you think you are done, install the sender, add some fuel, drain the fuel thru the normal outlet, and adjust the gauge to exactly E.

I sometimes drill holes behind the gauge so as to do the final adjustment with everything in place.

Last edited:

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting article, but you quite too soon. The bi-metallic gauges have trimmers to set the E and F points. It takes a few iterations because they effect each other.

But you first need to adjust the float so that it is almost at the bottom when empty. You can also set the float to be almost at the top when full, but that usually requires altering the length of the float rod.

Then remove the gauge but provide a way to keep it electrically connected. The two trimmers on the back side are accessible with a number one Philips. Then swing the float full to empty and back. Move the trimmers a very small amount. After a few swings you will get a feel for how to coordinate the two. If you want to be picky, when you think you are done, install the sender, add some fuel, drain the fuel thru the normal outlet, and adjust the gauge to exactly E.

I sometimes drill holes behind the gauge so as to do the final adjustment with everything in place.

Very good information. Would you mind if I requoted this text on the blog as an addendum to my article? I might even PM you for some more clarification. This would be invaluable for people doing the gasser-to-diesel van sender conversion on our IDI Vans.

I learned my bending-the-float-arm technique from an IDI friend named Jayro88 from the FTE forum, and it's worked great every since I converted it. But yours is very compelling.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good information. Would you mind if I requoted this text on the blog as an addendum to my article? I might even PM you for some more clarification. This would be invaluable for people doing the gasser-to-diesel van sender conversion on our IDI Vans.

I learned my bending-the-float-arm technique from an IDI friend named Jayro88 from the FTE forum, and it's worked great every since I converted it. But yours is very compelling.
Yes you can use it. Why PM, keep it public. There might be something that is not obvious to someone. You want a pic?

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes you can use it. Why PM, keep it public. There might be something that is not obvious to someone and we can modify it. You want a pic?

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes you can use it. Why PM, keep it public. There might be something that is not obvious to someone and we can modify it. You want a pic?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can use it. Why PM, keep it public. There might be something that is not obvious to someone. You want a pic?

I'll keep things public, I was more talking about details that help clarify for the literary component of the blog. I didn't want to clutter up the OB forum with slightly off-topic questions for you.

A picture would be really nice, but not completely necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online