Fuel Additives

rickrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to use too much fuel additive?? I am using Diesel Kleen from Wal-Mart, which cleans and raises the Cetane level. If I use twice as much as is recomended, would it be harmful in any way?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I dont think it is harmfull at twice the amount...........sometimes it says on the bottle. If you filled your entire tank up with the stuff it might cause problems but as long as you mix it with fuel i dont think it is harmfull at high doses.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fill new fuel filters with it, the injectors love the ******. I like the white bottle better though (it eats water) or Howes.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I used 2x most of the time.no problems for me.It was usually Power service or howes,a couple times Lucas. Now I am using oil most of the time.and periodically use howes.Seems to be doing fine.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the bottle, IIRC it tells you to double dose if wanting to raise the cetane rating 6 points vs 3 points.

Same goes for winter additives, recommended dose for extreeme cold is a double shot of the stuff...... Many don't catch this small print and get caught with their pants down and a gelled truck in the winter up north.

I run Power Service or FPPF, tried Howes once this winter and had problems with ice in the line running from my aux tank.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I use diesel clean as well, in the silver or white bottle whichever I feel like, but I usually add twice as much as they say, never had any issues........

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I use lucas all the time and used ps before never noticed any difference and most times I double dose just in case.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but one of my friends suggested that every time I fill up a tank I should also dump in a quart of clean (as in new from a bottle) engine oil for a gasser - apparently his dad does that for their 6.9-powered tractor-thing, and it helps with lubrication of the IP. Has anyone here done that, is ita good idea to do it, or my buddy and his dad are totally misguided?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but one of my friends suggested that every time I fill up a tank I should also dump in a quart of clean (as in new from a bottle) engine oil for a gasser - apparently his dad does that for their 6.9-powered tractor-thing, and it helps with lubrication of the IP. Has anyone here done that, is ita good idea to do it, or my buddy and his dad are totally misguided?

Well 2 stroke oil from wally mart was proven to lubricate better than some. Used rotella didn't improve squat.

Here's a chart of addtives that were tested from our sister site superdutydiesel.com.

You must be registered for see images attach

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have been running Power Service, but at the looks of that chart, it doesnt look to be all that good. I have seen the Stanadyne stuff around these parts, so it looks like I will give it a try, when I run out of my stash of power service (2 more bottles, 2 more fill ups I suppose :D)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I run Power Service or FPPF, tried Howes once this winter and had problems with ice in the line running from my aux tank.

You might have still had some fppf in there when you iced up, but you wouldn't have iced up if you'd been running howes regularly.
I staked my life on that stuff in arctic conditions for years and never gelled up even in less than -80 deg f .

I spent quite s few years running a big truck in the great white north and
I've had fuel with fppf leave me TU at +20 ( polar power my @&$$ and it was double dosed) -cuss and every other additive on the market has gelled one me at one time or another except for howes . After a while that was all I'd use. It's a little hard to find here in the south now though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online