Fss no power

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I just installed a facet pump a few weeks ago. The thing has ran great until just a min ago when it died on me ( in my driveway, luckily). Anyways after doing some looking, I have no voltage to my FSS and that's where I'm pulling my power to pick the relay for the pump. Is this common? And where is the fuse/ fuseable link located? Thanks in advance..

gandalf

Reaction score
Don't know where things are on an '88. I'll assume that is the truck, the one in your sig block. What you can do, until you get this fixed, is run a permanent hot wire direct from the battery. You simply connect it when you want to go, and disconnect it when you're at your destination. However, remember that it is a permanent hot, and you must disconnect it to shut off the engine. This is not a forever fix.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the fusible links are on the starter relay hot post pass fender. I'd start there.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be ignition switch if nothing else works key on but I'd bet on the fusible link wires. Probably disturbed them putting in the pump.

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I improve this truck something else down stream always breaks. I keep telling myself that one day this will be a new truck, considering all of the new parts on it.

I won't be able to look at it again til tomorrow afternoon, baby duty, but when I find something out I will let you guys know.

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be ignition switch if nothing else works key on but I'd bet on the fusible link wires. Probably disturbed them putting in the pump.

Everything else works fine just the fss and the pump. I've read where the fast idle solenoid is wired in with the fss as well. I haven't checked that yet.

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the contact circuit of the fuel pump relay energized by the FSS circuit? Or just the coil circuit?

Just the coil, the contact circuit is powered from the always hot side of the starter relay on the passenger side or the fender well.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you tie into it? If everything else works, your splice might be suspect.

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you tie into it? If everything else works, your splice might be suspect.

The fss to relay with a female connector just like the stock fss connector, just with 2 wires going in to it. From the relay to pump power it's an eyelet to the lug on the starter solenoid. And the grounds are eyelets, one going to block and one going to frame.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid question. Does the fuel pump run? GP controller working?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are both Key on functions. I'm trying to remember if there is a fuse in that line. I'd sure check the fuses. I'm not close to my manuals.

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's my plan, I just didn't have time to dig into it much this afternoon. Tomorrow I will be able to dig deeper.
I've been debating on whether to run a hidden toggle switch inside the cab to the pump, to bypass all the "key on" side of it. Plus it will pretty much make it anti-theft lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online