frustrated. need assistance

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another member on here thought I may have a problem with the cam lobe. But the weird thing is, when I pull these pumps out, the arm is still fine. One had alot of slack in it, but the others didn't. The first one was the factory pump, second I bought at a place known to sell cheap parts so I figured it was my own fault, but this last one was the best carquest could give me, shouldn't have gone out after a month and a half. Glad I kept the receipt ;Sweet

Something just plain isn't right. I have never "HAD" to replace a lift pump. Why are yours failing. I would want to know why.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need some help mounting hat elec fuel pump and wiring it up give shoot me a pm. Hurds hardware there in town has real nice fuel line rated up to 300 psi and about anything you would ever need to do your swap, you may pay a little but its within walking distance.

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took nearly 4 hours but got the job done. I bypassed the mechanical pump, and on the frame right after the tanks I mounted a facet posi-flo pump. PN 6101050, it is rated for 5-7psi and 34 gph. While I was there, I bypassed the water seperator and cleaned up the fuel system a little. I just wired the pump to a switch in the cab, makes for a good anti theft device :D
The truck runs so much better now, I shoulda done this a long time ago. No more fluctuating timing, hard starts, cold smoke, nothing. Just runs great now.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
in the future, you can test a mechanical pump off the engine.
with a hose in the inlet you can work the arm and it'll pump fuel.

it's entirely possible that do to a minor suction leak the pump is getting air and loosing prime.
so now that you have your fancy electric pump start looking for leaks.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CAUTION When replaceing or useing new rubber fuel line, use only what is rated for HYDRAULIC, not the rubber line rated for GASOLINE. Diesel fuel will deterorate the inside of it and give you all kinds of fuel problems. The store sales will tell you it's the same, BS it's NOT.

Black gunk in the fuel tank from return lines.

Premature plugged filters.

IP problems.

Injector problems.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had mechanical lift pump problems: it broke where the arm that actuated the pump meets the little plastic piece that's connected to the diaphragm. :mad:

I replaced it with a Facet I got from Genlightning and it's been a great addition to the family of parts that now resides under my hood. ;Sweet

CAUTION When replaceing or useing new rubber fuel line, use only what is rated for HYDRAULIC, not the rubber line rated for GASOLINE. Diesel fuel will deterorate the inside of it and give you all kinds of fuel problems. The store sales will tell you it's the same, BS it's NOT.

No kidding? I haven't heard this before.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
On the subject of rubber fuel line, mine is currently using coolant line. Is this going to be deteriorating as well?

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced all of the rubber lines with diesel rated line. I tried testing my old pump, the arm just wiggled around, it wasn't working the diaphram at all. Whatever now though, hopefully I'll never have to deal with one again ;Sweet