frustrated. need assistance

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the truck into town today, ran great the entire time. Got my new 5" CAT stack in, and went for the test drive when it started surging really bad and smoking, then completely died. Fuel filter was empty. Re-primed it with the filter primer and got it running and had no fuel pressure.

This will be the third time since September that I've had to replace my fuel pump, what am I doing wrong? The pumps were all the older style and I know they are being installed under the cam like they are supposed to.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what am I doing wrong? Should I just give up and go electric? And if so, how hard is that to do.
Thank you in advance,
James
Truck is an 85 6.9

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go holley red and forget about it. Can you post up some pics of the stack? Is it a CAT part? Just curious as i've been thinking of doing a stack and love to see all options..............

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow in the day light I'll put some pics up...I did it myself with a sawzall and a crappy wire welder so I gotta do some grinding and painting to make it look good...shoulda paid more attention in geometry back in high school...
I found one through CAT and the price made it seem like it was made of gold. So I just bought some 5" exhaust tubing for 7 bucks a foot :D

Electric fuel pump here I come

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Tomorrow in the day light I'll put some pics up...I did it myself with a sawzall and a crappy wire welder so I gotta do some grinding and painting to make it look good...shoulda paid more attention in geometry back in high school...
I found one through CAT and the price made it seem like it was made of gold. So I just bought some 5" exhaust tubing for 7 bucks a foot :D

Electric fuel pump here I come

****...JC? You're just up the road from me. We should get together for a beer at some point. ;Sweet

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've still got a year and 2 months before I can do that, but I'm down to meet a fellow oil burner

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will give this truck one thing...its sure taught me how to do road side fixes to get home.

Had an idea on the electric pump. I have a set of cheap driving lights on my front bumper that are on a switch in the cab. I could mount a pump on the frame where the rubber pig tail line is for the mechanical pump, and tie into the rubber lines...it isn't much higher than the tank and I could use the switch and wires for the lights as a power supply. I'm not the best equipped at my apartment to be messing with hard lines

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
My electric pump is just forward of the tank switch, inside of the frame rail, done by PO, easy to get to if you don't mind being on your back, looks like they just undid the steel lines and added rubber hoses, it has to make a 360 degree loop to make up for the extra length an electric pump adds to the system. It works fine, I am not saying it right or the best way, I am just trying to pass along an idea. Its also fairly easy to run 12v from the cab, even if its temp 12v rigging to get you going.
John

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i am not going to recomend holley. not after my issues. i had a pump go out after a few months, bought a replacement and now that one is acting up.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Something just plain isn't right. I have never "HAD" to replace a lift pump. Why are yours failing. I would want to know why.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
the elec pumps do much better if they are pushing fuel rather than pulling fuel. In our case just in front of the fuel selector switch is the closest you can get them to the tank. they will last much longer that way.. Im running a holley black right now for my cummins. Its all over the place as far as watching the pressure gauge. It might have something to do with me getting it for free :dunno Im going to explore a different pump when this one poops out on me.

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
my pump is within 8 inches of my fuel pickup on the tank. with a inline filter before it. for some reason the electrical connections into the pump are screwing up. right now if i turn the truck on, the pump runs, but doesnt sound right. wiggle the wires right where they go into the pump and it will run fine. this pump is about 2 months old. still deciding if i want to put a mechanical back on or get a carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online