Front tow hooks?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm headed out to the West Desert (Utah) in a few weeks for a Winter Solstice trail run. There is a good chance that there will be lots of mud and goo to play in :D

I have no recovery/tow hooks on the front of my truck and I have no problem making some, but I would really like to keep the front end as close to stock as I can... Did these trucks even come with front tow hooks? If so how and where do they mount? Pics would be great if you get a chance ;Sweet Thanks!

Andrew

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
That's kinda cool......I'm building a front bar for my truck that'll have an integrated reese hitch. However, I contemplated finding clevises that are wider than the springs packs,a couple longer bolts and mounting them on the front spring hanger.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
The spring hanger is not something I would want to pull like that on. Bumper or frame. It's not that hard to bolt a hook on to the front frame horn.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
get 2 of them 10000 lb hooks. bolt them to the bottom of the rail behind the bumper. what i used to use before making my bumper.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those tow hooks look sturdy, but I would rather put 2 thru bolts in the frame instead of that hook. Jerking would put alot of shear force on the bolt and hook hanging down that low.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... Did these trucks even come with front tow hooks? If so how and where do they mount? Pics would be great if you get a chance ;Sweet Thanks!

Andrew

YES YES some trucks have factory hooks. They be located just in front of the factory sway bar mount on the underside of the Frame. I have two on my front bumper and they have Ford part #s and are distinct L n R

Not the best pic but look close and see the hook on top of my winch bumper.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry I don't have a better pic for you. I may be able to in a couple days.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's ;Sweet

I love those Colibert hooks--I might try to make some of my own.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The spring hanger is not something I would want to pull like that on. Bumper or frame. It's not that hard to bolt a hook on to the front frame horn.

How is that any different than hooking directly to the axle? Around here there are mudholes that won't use their loader to pull you out unless it's hooked to the axle.

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is that any different than hooking directly to the axle? Around here there are mudholes that won't use their loader to pull you out unless it's hooked to the axle.

That doesnt sound right. Ive seen axles ripped out from under trucks by other trucks. a loader should be able to do it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick fix for tow hooks is to put an eye bolt in place of a bumper bolt one on each side as large as possible.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
loaders pull slow and lift from the axle while a truck jerks and pulls straight
but i got a front hitch held on so well itd rip the frame before braking i use that if i ever need pulled out

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's ;Sweet

I love those Colibert hooks--I might try to make some of my own.

I was thinking about that myself- with a few dimensions it would be very easy to draw those up in AutoCAD and have someone cut them out on a CNC table.