Front end rebuild.

JustinC00

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have i new problem that decided to come about and I haven’t found anyone that has a guide on it as of my research up to this point. I need to completely rebuild my front end wheel hubs, brakes, seals, bearings, the whole thing. I need to know what exactly I need to get. My spindle looks like it’s destroyed and I have no clue what is and isn’t in there. Had some grinding and nasty noises last night and barely made it home. I’ll send some pics of what I have and I’m hoping y’all can point me in the direction of what I need. Thank you. PS the inner wheel bearing is in pieces inside the hub and I think that’s destroyed too

Attachments

• 3F1CDC22-C40F-4F9C-A207-FBA839CC310F.jpeg
    3F1CDC22-C40F-4F9C-A207-FBA839CC310F.jpeg
    434.2 KB · Views: 9

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, your spindle is probably fine. When wheel bearings/raced give up they they typically don't hurt the spindle. The race may very well be "welded" to the spindle shaft, so be prepared to cut it off carefully with a grinding wheel. My suggestion is to cut it the race that's trashed and most likely stuck on the spindle shaft 80% of the way through, so as leave plenty of room between your cut and the shaft OD. I'd cut it in two places 180 degrees from each other and then utilize one accurately placed chisel and hammer blow and you should have two half moons and an undamaged spindle.

If you haven't done it before, google wheel bearing packing with grease. I recommend the "dollop of grease on the palm of your hand" method. I own a zerk fitting style bearing packers but I think it makes a mess and requires more clean up than it's worth. That's my opinion and as they say: opinions vary.

In my opinion, wheel bearings fail far more often due to moisture or debris ingression. In the Midwest it's typically salt/winter related, but you are in California so my bet is sand or maybe mud depending on how you use your truck. Take your time and make sure that everything that touches any bearing is surgically clean (brake cleaner is your friend) and make certain the seals are installed correctly or you'll get to do it over again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online