Front Dana 60 diff - limited slip???

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so I know I have a limited slip rear from the axle code on the door frame label. Is there such a thing as a limited slip front differential in these trucks?
and, how do you tell?

Thanks guys for being here.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK so I know I have a limited slip rear from the axle code on the door frame label. Is there such a thing as a limited slip front differential in these trucks?
and, how do you tell?

Not sure on door tags....there is an option IIRC...

Set Park brake,
Lock hubs,
Leave tcase in 2WD
jack up one front wheel and if you can spin it reasonably easy...ti's not a Posi, if really really hard or impossible likely posi.

Or as mentioned, pull diff cover and do an oil change and inspection!

JM2CW

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to install a MagHytec diff cover - so I'll count the clutch paks.

But I can't manually lock the hubs w/o being in 4X4 - auto hubs (u know - gotta go in reverse/opposite direction to unlock hubs).

will try the opposite wheel maneuver --

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
You could do what a friend did way back when in a jeep --- he broke the rear end so he drove around in front wheel drive. Wanted to show off for his buddies and did a burnout (front wheels only), breaking the front axle too. If you decide to try this, count the number of rubber skid marks on the road before where the broken bolts, driveshaft pieces and oil leak starts. If there are two, you HAD an LSD. If only one, open diff.

I am not recommending this procedure, only suggesting that it is one way to find out what you have.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and, how do you tell?

LS front would be badass....I had an old bronco (early bronco) with LS front and rear....that thing would go anywhere